He has a deep love for all avian species, his favorite being the spotted owl, and has a fondness for the music of Lionel Richie (in Rio, his favorite song is "Say You, Say Me", first heard in the aviary when Blu is first introduced to Jewel).
He is voiced by an actual Brazilian, Rodrigo Santoro, in both the English and Brazilian Portuguese versions of the series.
About 15 years after Blu was found by Linda, Tulio unknowingly goes to the Blue Macaw Books store in Moose Lake, Minnesota, informing Linda that her Blue Macaw, Blu, is the last male of his kind, and that he must come to Rio de Janeiro to mate with a recently captured female. Although she refused at first (mostly because he threw Blu across the room in a fruitless attempt to get him to fly despite Linda's protestation), Tulio's offer is eventually taken up by Linda, and brings her and Blu to his aviary. Once Blu arrives, Tulio "helps" him court Jewel by fluffing out his feathers and playing Lionel Richie's song, "Say You, Say Me." He then offers to take Linda out for dinner, convincing her that his guard, Sylvio, will protect the birds. During dinner, Tulio finds himself mesmerized by Linda's owl-like eyes as he describes his favorite bird, the spotted owl. The dinner is interrupted by a call on his phone (the ringtone being that of a rooster crowing) as Linda extinguishes a flaming chunk of chicken roast, briefly informing him that Blu and Jewel were kidnapped (or bird-napped) by smugglers. A distraught Linda blames Tulio for the bird-napping.After a night of putting up "lost" posters, Tulio and Linda are approached the next morning by Fernando, the boy who helped the smugglers. Led by Fernando to the criminals' hideout, they hear the smugglers' plan to use Carnival as a cover to escape with their catch. Posing as dancers to infiltrate the festivities, Tulio was enamored by how Linda looked in her costume. They spotted the smugglers and gave chase. Unfortunately, they were too late to stop them from escaping. All seems lost, until they spotted Blu returning with an injured Jewel. Tulio tended to Jewel's wing, and later, he and Linda release her and Blu into the wild.
Together with Linda and Fernando, Tulio opened the Blu Bird Sanctuary, and Livraria Blu, a Brazilian version of Linda's bookstore. During "Real in Rio," Tulio was seen hang-gliding over the jungles of Rio with Linda, as well as Blu, Jewel, and their three chicks, Bia, Carla, and Tiago. He was last seen riding a three manned tandem with Linda and Fernando in the credits (in a photograph).
Tulio, the quirky but brilliant ornithologist, continues his work researching and saving the birds of Brazil.
Tulio´s curiosity and enthusiasm reach new heights when he and his "loving wife and colleague" Linda travel to the Amazon and make the discovery of a lifetime – Blu and his family may not be the last of their kind! From the sky, a little blue feather falls between Linda and Tulio. He tastes it and he realizes it’s a Blue Macaw feather. And they go off in search of more Blue Macaws.
Now happily married to Linda, Tulio and his wife venture into the Amazon for an expedition, and to re-release a Marbled Wood Quail into the wild. Linda paddles the boat, exhausted, as Tulio films the surroundings and narrates. Linda tries to coax the shy Wood quail out of her cage, which eventually works (aided by Tulio's attempts at bird talk, which seem to frighten the quail), and the quail reunites with it's fellows. The quail then begins hopping and chirping, which Linda thinks is a warning. Tulio dismisses this, but it is later proved true as Linda spots rapids up ahead. The boat makes a wild journey down the rapids and then over a water fall.
Tulio searches for Linda, and the two reunite with a hug. They are distracted by a squawk, and a fast-flying blue bird suddenly passes over them, losing one of it's feathers. Tulio identifies it as a Spix's macaw feather, to his and Linda's joy. Later, Linda and Tulio are on the news, which is seen by Blu, Jewel, and their kids, Bia, Carla, and Tiago. Jewel decides to take the family to the Amazon, to help Linda and Tulio find the Spix's macaws.
Blu and the family arrive in the Amazon, unknowingly close to Linda and Tulio. Linda is predicting the position of the Spix's macaws, believing them to be close to the Brazil nut trees and the waterfalls. Blu is suddenly grabbed by a bird, and his squawks capture Linda and Tulio's attention, who frantically head in the direction of the sound. As they follow, they stop at a small cliff, and Tulio drops the receiver, breaking it. Linda worries that it sounded like Blu, but Tulio doubts this, believing Blu to be in Rio.
Tulio and Linda discover loggers cutting down some trees. Tulio tries to stop her, but Linda confronts them angrily. Tulio drags Linda away, but the two then realize that it is a trap (the loggers have been planning to kidnap them in order to stop their logging activity being disturbed). Linda flees when Tulio tells her to, running into the jungle as she is pursued by the loggers. Linda manages to escape, but is eventually caught and tied to a tree with Tulio.
Later, still tied to the tree, Tulio and Linda manage to hold hands, with Tulio apologising to Linda for getting her into their current situation. Linda then sees Blu. She makes bird sounds to catch his attention, but Tulio thinks she is trying to talk bird to him. He expresses surprise when Blu comes, remarking on the distance he must have flown as Blu frees them from the tree. Linda and Tulio try to stop the loggers from cutting down some trees, blocking the way. Linda and Tulio are then delighted and shocked to see hundreds of Spix's macaws in the trees behind them. Tulio actually faints with joy.
A logger in a tree harvester goes to run over Eduardo, but Linda crashes into it with a bulldozer. Tulio picks up Eduardo, who tries to escape his grasp. Tulio calms him by telling him it's okay, and sends him back up into the air. Afterwards, Linda and Tulio are back on the news with Blu, Linda and Tulio announcing that the Spix's macaw tribe's residence has become a sanctuary, safe from loggers and other dangers. Tulio also mentions how they found a cockatoo and a tree frog in the jungle who appear to have "bonded," and that they are taking them back to Rio for "continuing observation."
Tulio is a slender man with short black hair that has been pulled back. He wears glasses like Linda (though with black-rims), a green shirt, blue jeans, and a white lab coat.
Tulio loves birds, to the point where he often imitates their calls, "communicating" with them. He takes the conservation of bird life in Rio very seriously, acting as "mama bird" to his many patients. His devotion to his career has left little room for a social life; He confesses to Linda that he often eats alone. He can be eccentric at times, such as when he was dressed as a blue macaw: Seeing himself in the mirror, he started squawking and walking around bird-style.
At first, he and Linda seem only to be friends. However, after getting a good look at her "big, round, intelligent eyes," he becomes attracted to her. This attraction is intensified after he sees Linda in her own blue macaw costume. At some point before the film's final scene, he and Linda seem to have entered a romantic relationship, and they are shown to be married in the sequel.
- Driving a Jeep
- Ornithologists' Skills
- Communication with avian species
- Species Recognition
- Medical skills of a veterinarian
- Hang gliding (shown during end credits)
- Cycling along with Linda and Fernando (shown in ending credits)
- English and Portuguese Language
- He can speak and translate them into either language.
- In Rio, the restaurant where he and Linda ate dinner is called "Churrascaria Diti", which means "Diti Steakhouse" in Portuguese.
- He chews bird seeds and lets the birds eat from his mouth. This is factually inaccurate as human saliva is toxic to most birds in real life.
- He thinks he knows how to communicate with birds, but as it seems, his communication skills are not what he believes them to be, since Blu could not understand him at all.
- He can't drive a motorcycle, unlike Linda, who claims it is just like driving a snowmobile.
- Near the end of the movie, Tulio tends to Jewel's broken wing; showing he has the medical skills of a veterinarian. This also makes Jewel to start trusting humans that they are trying to help; in this case, because she can fly again.
- He used to be an ornithologist, and is now a caretaker of the Blu Bird Sanctuary to protect the Sanctuary and the Amazon rainforest.
- Tulio has skills in identifying birds by tasting their feathers, as was demonstrated when he did just this with Blu's feather.
- His favorite bird is the spotted owl. 
- In the ending credits of Rio, there is a photo of Tulio, Linda, and Fernando riding a "three-seater" tandem bicycle.
- His phone has a ringtone that sounds like a rooster.
- At the end of Rio or at the beginning of Rio 2, he probably taught Linda to speak Portuguese as she now lives alongside Tulio in their cottage house in Rio de Janeiro.
- He is voiced by Rodrigo Santoro in both the English and Portuguese versions of the movies.
- Rodrigo Santoro is an actual Brazilian, enabling him to speak in Portuguese-accentuated English and Portuguese efficiently in both versions.
- He takes care of injured birds and tries to save endangered species of birds, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with eating chicken hearts.
Quotes from Rio
- Tulio: "Arara...! Araraaa....! *Oof*! "
- Tulio: "I am not really built for this weather."
- Tulio: "I have come six thousand miles looking for him."
- Tulio: "He's magnificent!"
- Tulio: "I introduce myself and shake my tail feathers counter clockwise, thus referring to his dominance."
- Tulio: "Your macaw is a very special bird."
- Tulio: "In fact, as far as we know, Blu is the last male of his kind."
- Tulio: "And recently we found a female."
- Tulio: "And our hope is to bring the two of them together to save their species!"
- Tulio: "She's in Brazil, Blu must come to Rio de Janeiro!"
- Tulio: "Oh no, you misunderstand, it's all arranged."
- Tulio: "You will be with him every step of the way, and I will be with you."
- Tulio: "Well of course he can fly, he's a perfect specimen."
- Tulio: "Don't worry, their natural instincts always take over."
- Tulio: "Well, almost always."
- Tulio: "Perhaps he's too domesticated?"
- Tuilo: "I'm sorry, I'm very sorry."
- Tulio: "Linda, this could be our last chance."
- Tulio: "Linda, please listen to me"
- Tulio: "if we don't do this, his whole species will be gone."
- Tulio: "Just think about it?"
- Tulio: "You arrived in time for Carnival!"
- Tulio: "Yes, it's the biggest party in the world."
- Tulio: "You know, a time to have fun and dance
- Tulio: "No, in fact, she's my dentist!"
- Tulio: "Dr. Barbosa!"
- Tulio: "Come tommorow night everyone will be dressed like that."
- Tulio: "This is the heart and soul of our aviary, our treatment room"
- Tulio: "Yes, I'm their great big mama bird."
- Tulio: "Want some?"
- Tulio: "Many of the birds here were rescued from smugglers."
- Tulio: "Yes, and unfortunately poor birds are often hurt, or even killed in the process."
- Tulio: "But with proper care they can be saved."
- Tulio: "Look here, this poor guy was found last night."
- Tulio: "Hey buddy, you're looking great today."
- Tulio: "Much better, much better."
- Tulio: "Oh, we have a special place for Jewel."
- Tulio: "She's a very spirited bird."
- Tulio: "No, no, don't worry."
- Tulio: "I'm gonna make you look irresistible."
- Tulio: "No, no, give it a chance."
- Tulio: "I think they need a little help."
- Tulio: "Lionel Richie, works every time."
- Tulio: "We should probably give them some privacy."
- Tulio: "Oh no, no, no, don't worry, Sylvio will keep an eye on them all night."
- Tulio: "Besides, he's got Jewel."
- Tulio: "It was nice of you to join me for dinner."
- Tulio: "I often eat alone, oh, because of course my work."
- Tulio: "Yes, right, do you have a favorite bird?"
- Tulio: "That makes sense, they are very handsome birds."
- Tulio: "I know exactly what you mean."
- Tulio: "My favorite bird is the spotted owl."
- Tulio: "I've always been mesmerized by those big, round, intelligent eyes."
- Tulio: "No no, Linda, it's not your fault."
- Tulio: "I don't understand; Sylvio is the best guard in the business."
- Tulio: "Let me see that."
- Tulio: "You're right."
- Tulio: "We don't know this boy, we can't trust him."
- Tulio:"They're starting to close the streets for Carnival."
- Tulio: "Better be right, kid, because we're running out of time."
- Tulio: "We'll never be able to get my car through this crowd."
- Tulio: "Hey, kid, how'd you get this bike?"
- Tulio: "Yeah, sure they were, kid."
- Tulio: "You insult me."
- Tulio: "No, I can't drive a motorcycle."
- Tulio: "Act naturally."
- Tulio: "Linda, you gotta shake your tooshie!"
- Tulio: "They're getting away."
- Tulio: "Watch out."
- Tulio: "Here, let me see."
- Tulio: "Don't worry, I'll take care of you."
Quotes from Rio 2
- Tulio: "We have encountered a wild blue Spix Macaw deep in the Amazon jungle."
- Tulio: "There may be a whole flock out there."
- Tulio: "If there is, we will find them and protect them."
- Tulio: "Right, left, right, no, left!"
- Tulio: "Impossible!"
- Tulio: "It's a macaw."
- Tulio: "It's a two thousand mile flight!"
- Tulio: "Stop, please!"
- Tulio: "You're safe now."
- Tulio: "RUN, RUN Linda! I'll hold them off!"
- Tulio: "Linda, this is incredible!"
- Tulio: "Respect the rainforest."
- Tuliio:"Lost? No, No, No!"
- Tulio: "We are here on our honeymoon!"
- Tulio: "We are just heading back to the tour."
- Tulio: "It is kareoke night!"
- Main article: Tulio Monteiro/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Carla • Bia • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Big Boss • Felipe • Tiny • Claira|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Let Me Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • "Samba de Orly" • "Funky Monkey" • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love" • "Rio Rio" • "Batucada Familia"|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found