Tiago is Blu and Jewel's only son and one of the three tritagonists of Rio 2. He is the youngest child of Blu and Jewel's chicks, and has two older sisters named Bia and Carla. He is voiced by Pierce Gagnon.
Although not named at the time, Tiago and his sisters are seen at the end of the film, flying, singing, and dancing with their parents. The three chicks also sing a line during the song "Real in Rio."
Tiago is first seen helping Carla and Bia prepare fireworks at New Year's Eve, the three having tied their babysitter Tiny to a firework. He says that the show is going to be "awesome". After Carla details her "vision" for the fireworks (colors), Tiago impatiently grabs the match from Bia and lights it after he shares his own "vision" (explosions). Before Tiago can light the fireworks, he is stopped by Blu and Jewel just as he dashes for the fireworks' fuses; Jewel grabs him by his tail, and Blu takes away the lit match. He nods in agreement when Carla claims Blu always says "no." When Blu protests that he doesn't always say "no," Tiago says that he is "in denial." As the fireworks go off with Blu attached to one, Tiago flies up to the Christ the Redeemer statue with his mother and sisters. After Blu falls onto the statue beside them after the firework he is tied to explodes, Tiago grumbles that Blu always "gets to have all the fun", but then watches the fireworks in awe along with his siblings.
At breakfast a few days later, Tiago steals the blueberries intended for the pancakes, kicking them at Blu as a game. After the first volley of blueberries, Tiago sends multiple volleys flying in Blu's direction rapidly, causing Blu to accidentally knock over a pan, sending a pancake flying. Tiago tries to catch it, but was instead squashed against the wall. He greets his mother as she stares at them, clearly annoyed. Jewel tells Blu that she wants to show the kids how to open the Brazil nut she found in the rainforest near Rio de Janeiro, but Tiago further annoys Jewel when he opens a can of shelled Brazil nuts, claiming that their father had "already showed us!". After the news announces the sighting of a wild Spix's macaw by Linda and Tulio, Jewel suggests a trip to the Amazon. When Blu hesitantly agrees, Tiago is ecstatic, but then asks what the Amazon is.
Tiago hurries Blu as they prepare to leave for the Amazon, eager to go. While Blu is performing an inventory, he takes Blu's Swiss army knife from Blu's fanny pack, but Blu quickly takes it away. When Bia shows Blu a pop-up snake from her Amazon book, Tiago takes it, interested, but Bia takes it back, annoyed. Tiago brings some aviator's goggles to the Amazon, and wears them every time he flies. Tiago enjoys the journey, riding on a Rhea (urging it to go faster), and sometimes annoys his family.
On the "Céu Azul" boat they rest on for the final part of their journey, Tiago and the others sleep. When Nigel is about to strike Blu, the boat's horn suddenly goes off when Charlie hits a switch by accident, waking everyone on the boat and foiling Nigel's plan. Nigel makes a hasty getaway, failing to be spotted by Blu and Jewel as they scold Tiago, thinking it was him that sounded the horn. Tiago attempts to protest for his innocence, but no one believes him.
When they arrive in the Amazon, Tiago laughs when Bia takes notice of a Heliconius larva about to enter its pupa stage (thinking she said "poop" instead of "pupa"). He climbs over her to get a better look, leading her to chase him. Jewel goes after them, hoping to catch them before they get lost. When the Spix's Macaw Tribe discovers them and brings them to the Sanctuary, Tiago looks on with awe and wonder. As Eduardo is revealed to be his grandfather, Tiago is enthusiastic and curious. He hugs Eduardo along with his sisters, calling him "pop-pop" at his insistence.
When Mimi tries to hug them, Tiago, Bia and Carla flee, terrified. Tiago dances with his newly found family during "Beautiful Creatures," painting his face red with fruit juice. Later, in Roberto's old nest, Tiago tries to select the biggest room, but his request is denied when his sisters also attempt to claim it. He is then distracted by the birdbath, jumping into it. He then farts, adding, "Jacuzzi." Later, Jewel sings a lullaby, lulling him and his sisters to sleep, but when she finishes, Tiago asks her to sing it again. Jewel gently declines, kissing her son on the forehead, and Tiago immediately falls asleep.
The next day, Tiago, Bia, and other Spix's Macaw chicks scare Blu awake with a spider. As the day progresses, Roberto takes him water-skiing and teaches him how to fly backwards. Tiago calls him "Uncle Beto," and Roberto nicknames him "T-Bird." At the soccer match "war" at the Pit of Doom, Tiago cheers Roberto and Blu enthusiastically, jumping up and down and shouting. When Blu scores for the wrong team by accident, Tiago looks sad and disappointed, flying away with the tribe, but, like Bia and Carla, soon forgives his father.
During the battle with the loggers, Tiago and Bia drive a tree harvester away from the trees, then uses it to pick up one of the loggers. Tiago then assists Blu in opening the paneling of a tractor's engine using the Adventurer's Knife, then jams the engine using a stick, and high-fives Blu when the deed is complete, saying that they're "a great team." When the loggers retreat, Tiago hugs his sisters. When Nigel later tries to attack Blu, he pulls Tiago and Bia close to defend them, but Gabi drags Nigel away.
Afterwards, Tiago joins in the "Amazon Untamed" performance, happy in his new home.
At the beginning of the Snakes Alive! novel, Tiago listens to his father explain the sanctuary's economic woes, but is distracted by eating a waffle his father brought him. Like his sisters, he is excited, rather than scared, when Blu describes the wild, and follows his family as they go to Luiz for answers. When Luiz describes the legend of the Pedra de Gavea, Tiago is excited to go, but disappointed when Blu and Jewel leave him and his sisters in Nico, Pedro, and Rafael's care. As Nico, Pedro, and Rafael attempt to teach them to dance, quickly becoming bored, Tiago follows his sister Carla as they escape the sanctuary to go after their parents, under the cover of playing hide-and-seek. When they run across Basil, Tiago consoles the sad bat, bringing his stick friend Jeffrey back to him, then following his lead to the rock. Upon being informed by Nigel of their parents' cave-in accident, Tiago and his sisters rush to their location and uncover a secret door to rescue them. As Blu and the bat colony discover and attempt to fight off Ssssalbatore, Tiago, his sisters and mother flee. In the final pages, Tiago is seen happy to have rescued and been reunited with his parents.
Tiago is a happy-go-lucky, brave, freedom-loving, and very agile chick, who loves going on adventures. A born troublemaker, Tiago is adventurous and free-spirited like Jewel, while at the same time a natural at utilizing human objects and enjoys them like Blu. He appears to have little manners (unlike his sisters), as shown when he burps loudly after drinking soda during their journey to the Amazon rainforest, taking Bia's book, and farting while relaxing in a bird-sized jacuzzi in Roberto's old nest.
Tiago is the youngest of the kids by being born three minutes after Bia, and the only male chick of his brood. If something needs to be blown up or destroyed, he is usually the one to be asked. Always up for adventure, Tiago quickly becomes right at home exploring the wild. He is extremely mischievous, for instance scaring his father awake with a spider in the Sanctuary in the Amazon, and often irritating his sisters by stealing their possessions, shown when he steals Bia's book twice on different occasions, and once seen taking Carla's iPod in a Rio 2 poster. He also tends to interrupt his sisters, as shown in the first teaser trailer, the New Year's countdown video, and the "Beautiful Creatures" video where his sisters are dancing together and he comes in between them.
Tiago is a skinny and scruffy-looking young chick who looks almost exactly like Blu, also inheriting his "hair" style, but unlike his sisters, he has more hair feathers that stand up, similar to Jewel's. He also has downy feathers that stick up on the back of his neck and on his chest, which is also a similarity to Blu. He has dark blue feathers, lighter blue facial markings, light grey talons, a dark grey beak, and brown eyes that are the same hazel-brown color as Blu and Bia's. He has the second largest wings, despite being the youngest of the brood. Being the youngest, he is also the smallest and shortest of the brood.
Tiago loves his father a lot and enjoys having fun with him. During breakfast in Linda and Tulio's cottage house, he kicks blueberries to him, soccer-style and on the way to the Amazon, Tiago is seen sleeping on his father's back while flying at night. He also enjoys playing pranks on him, like dangling a spider over his face. He is seen cheering for Blu at the Pit of Doom, and cringes when he gets hit in the head with the ball. The two make a great team, as Blu trusted Tiago to use his All-in-one Adventurer's Knife to open a panel on a bulldozer when the loggers attacked.
Tiago loves his mother very much. After she sings the kids her lullaby, he asks her to sing it again. Jewel gently declines, but gives him a goodnight kiss on the forehead. She is also seen throwing him some açaí berries, which he catches in mid-air and juggles them before Roberto swoops by and steals them.
Tiago loves and also seems to enjoy annoying his sister, taking her books without permission, and laughing when she says "pupa" (thinking she said "poop"). But they work well together during the battle against the loggers, driving a tree harvester away from the trees. She also enjoys his pranks sometimes, giggling as he lowered a spider onto Blu while he slept. On the way to the Amazon she was also seen snuggled up to him when they slept on their father's back while flying at night.
During their attempt to set off some fireworks, Tiago shows little patience for Carla's "vision," preferring to simply set them off and watch the explosions. They briefly argue about who gets the biggest room in Roberto's nest. Nonetheless, they seem to enjoy each other's company.
Tiago enjoys being with his grandfather, calling him "pop-pop," and dancing happily with him.
Tiago, along with his sisters, was initially frightened of Mimi as she rushed to hug them for the first time. However, they later love her, dancing with her, and watching the game in the Pit of Doom with her.
Tiago likes and looks up to Roberto, calling him "Uncle Beto." He has fun surfing on lilypads with him, learning how to fly backwards, and joining in his trademark call. He also cheers for him at the Pit of Doom.
Tiago isn't seen directly interacting with Linda during Rio 2, but an image of the chicks with her and Tulio, shown during the news report early in Rio 2, shows him gleefully nuzzling against her cheek, showing he likes her quite a bit.
Though it is not shown directly during the movies, Tiago has a close relationship with Rafael, who he regards as an uncle. In Rio 2, Tiago and his siblings are left in Rafael's care by Blu and Jewel, until Rafael passes them over to Luiz. The Rio: Snakes Alive! novel is the first time Tiago and his siblings are seen addressing Rafael as "uncle" while they run to greet him.
Though it is not shown directly during the movies, Tiago also has a close relationship with Nico and Pedro, also referring to them as "uncles." In the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel, the first time they are seen interacting, Nico and Pedro try to cheer up Tiago and his siblings as they are told they will be babysat by trying to teach them to dance, which does not interest Tiago as much as the adventure his parents went on.
As with Nico, though it is not shown, Tiago also has a close relationship with his "Uncle" Pedro. Pedro tries to cheer up the kids in the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel by assuring them that they "are the party," but his and Nico's joint attempts simply bore the kids.
Tiago is only referenced to interact with Luiz a few times. When Rafael decides to go to the New Year's Eve party, Rafael leaves Tiago and his siblings with Luiz, who then passes them on to Tiny. In the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel, Tiago and his family are all hugged tightly by Luiz (who calls them "little munchies") when they visit him in Rio de Janeiro.
It was once speculated that the younger version of Tiago shown at the end of Rio (due to his significant difference in appearance) was a different chick named Roma, from a different brood of hatchlings. There, Roma was singing "Real in Rio" with his family. He had brown eyes (darker than Achez), and deep-blue feathers. This first brood was presumed to have left the nest in Rio 2.
This was later confirmed to be false by director Carlos Saldanha.
- At the start of Rio 2, Tiago is approximately 4 years old.
- Tiago has ten dark blue feathers on his head, just like his mother.
- Tiago is the only chick that is flexible (which he inherited from his father) enough to do the worm and spin on his head.
- Tiago is the smallest of his brood, and his wingspan are the second smallest (after Bia).
- Tiago, like his sisters, eats jungle food, but also eats human food such as pancakes and soda.
- Tiago prefers to hang out with his father.
- Both Tiago and his father's first name starts with 'T' and has five letters as Blu's first name is Tyler.
- In the 2013 promo poster, he is seen on the right of Bia.
- In one of the posters for Rio 2, he is seen wearing a baseball cap and using a leaf as a paddle.
- Tiago is seen wearing goggles in both the first trailer and a promotional still.
- Tiago was initially going to be called "Bobby," but his name was changed to Tiago.
- Tiago seems to like to play pranks, such as tying a spider onto a string to scare his father awake (along with a few other chicks), tying Tiny to a firework, and slipping himself into a soda machine.
- He enjoys being around Roberto, water-skiing with him, and learning flying tricks from him.
- Tiago enjoys watching TV in Linda and Tulio's cottage, along with both of his siblings.
- Tiago, and both his siblings, run away from their great-aunt Mimi when she tries to hug them.
- Tiago was born 6 minutes and 2.5 seconds after Carla and 3 minutes after Bia.
- He is a bit immature, because in the Amazon, Tiago teases Bia when she says the word, "pupa," thinking she said "poop".
- Tiago is the last of his siblings to be named on-screen.
- Tiago belched after drinking a can of soda and farted while in Roberto's nest's bird bath. In reality, birds cannot belch or fart.
- Blu refers to him as "Tiago Gunderson" in the scene where Charlie accidentally wakes everyone up and inadvertently foils Nigel's plan to kill him in his sleep, though his family isn't referred to by that name altogether.
- Tiago was taught by Roberto to fly backwards, but, in reality, the only birds known to do this are hummingbirds.
- In one of the original storyboards for Rio 2, it is shown that Tiago has a baseball glove and ball in his room, hinting at an interest in the sport (possibly due to his father's American upbringing).
- Similarly, a hockey poster can also be seen in the same shot, also hinting at a hockey interest (again, most likely due to the location of Blu's upbringing).
- In the Junior Novel, Tiago can make monkey noises. A deleted scene for Rio 2 also shows him doing so. He was also able to scoop up Big Boss by piloting a tree harvester.
- Tiago's daredevil and mischievous personality is inherited from Jewel, while his appearance is very similar to Blu's (the most prominent ones being darker plumage color, ruffled feathers and a larger beak compared to his siblings).
- During "Amazon Untamed", he is seen spinning on his head in a hip-hop fashion of dancing.
- Flexibility (inherited from his father)
- Tiago can balance blueberries on his beak.
- Flying Backwards
- Water Skiing
- Human Intelligence
- While not the smartest of his siblings, Tiago excels in utilizing human objects, his skills almost rivaling his father's, as he is able to light a match, open a can of shelled Brazil nuts, open a can of soda, use Blu's All-in-one Adventurer's Knife, and control a tree harvester (with instructions from Bia).
- Tiago is seen in the movie making soccer moves with blueberries.
Quotes from Rio 2
- "This is gonna be awesome!"
- "Here's my vision: Boom! Crash! Bang! KA-POW!"
- "Here we go!"
- "Dad, you're in denial."
- "... have to stick together!"
- "Aww, man how come Dad gets to have all the fun?!"
- "Oh, Dad! Looking for this?"
- "Heads up, Dad!"
- "You mean like this?"
- "Dad already showed us!"
- "Yeah! Woo hoo! We're going to the Amazon!"
- "Wait... what's the Amazon?"
- "Let's go, come on, Dad, come on!"
- "Woo, this is great!"
- "Whoa, cool!"
- "The All-in-one Adventurer's Knife!"
- "I'll be in charge of this!"
- "I didn't do anything!"
- "Aw, that's sick!"
- "Dad! It's huge! It has 6 bedrooms!"
- "I get the big one!"
- "No way, a bird bath!?"
- *farts* "Jacuzzi."
- "Can you sing that again, please?"
- "Thanks, Dad!"
- "Hi, Mom!"
- "Faster, faster, faster!"
- "Cuck-kaw, cuck-kaw!"
- "Now we're talking!"
- "We're a great team, Dad!"
- "Hey, Dad, Uncle Beto showed me some flying tricks!"
- "Look, I can fly backwards!"
- "Haha, you said 'poop'!"
Quotes from Rio: Snakes Alive!
- "Bring back some wiffles, dad?"
- "Are you really the largest crocodilian in the world?"
- *simultaneously with Bia and Carla* "Can we go?"
- "Yeah! Why don't we just fly out?"
- "I thought we were all going on an adventure?"
- "I'm on it!"
- "This it?"
- "I'm Tiago!"
- "That must have been dad!"
- "Come on!"
- "It's kind of a long story..."
Quotes from Rio 2: The Junior Novel
- "Yeah, me too!"
- "Come on dad."
- "This is great."
- "We're going with you!"
- "I could eat!"
- Main article: Tiago/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Carla • Bia • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Big Boss • Felipe • Tiny • Claira|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Let Me Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • "Samba de Orly" • "Funky Monkey" • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love" • "Rio Rio" • "Batucada Familia"|