Usage Given the nature of copyrighted images, Rio Wiki tries to use them sparingly, and whenever possible on more than one single article, instead of using different pictures to illustrate the same subject. The use of too many images on the same article should also be avoided. Apart from the general consensus that it causes aesthetic problems, this practice also directly challenges the policy that we use images sparingly.
Formats and Cropping
- Non-free images must remain unaltered. Changing colors, adding watermarks, text, or making montages that corrupt the copyright owners' original work is considered to be an infringement.
- The only exception to this happens when, in the lack of appropriate screenshots, we must resort to concept art images to depict a character in its respective infobox. In such case, altering the image to remove or alter its background is acceptable for aesthetic reasons.
- Enhancing the colors levels, shading, brightness, contrast, and/or alpha of non-free images should only be done so as to improve their overall quality.
- Screenshots should preferably be submitted in their original ratio (4:3 or 16:9), unless they could benefit from cropping.
- If an image contains empty space or elements other than the subject being depicted, the image should be cropped to isolate the subject with respect given to the guidelines concerning closeups.
- Cropped images aren't forbidden from being uploaded but shouldn't be added to any main page articles unless they are applied or used for a specific application such as templates and infoboxes.
- The image should be of the highest quality available. HD screen-captures are preferred, with other formats being secondary. In the case of duplicate images, the highest quality image is kept.
- The image should be an accurate, dignifying representation of the character. There must be no obvious blurriness or moving objects visible in the photo.
- Movie screenshot must be able to transpire personality, passions, emotions or their real relation of the characters in that particular screenshot.
- The infobox image should depict the character's most recognizable likeness, unless consensus dictates otherwise.
- Any latest images must not resemble or visually inherit any preceding images on this wiki no matter their different file type, dimension or color mode, unless photo replacement (section 1.6) is implied.
- In case of photo duplication, the similar-looking photos will be compared against one another and one of the two will be permanently deleted by our administrators.
Replacing (overwriting an image) can take place when the original file is of low resolution/quality. In this case, the original picture must be replaced by the exact same version (with better quality).
All the images and files uploaded to Rio Wiki should be named sensibly. The name should be able to describe the likeness of that image's depiction. Title or name irrelevant to its image shall be reviewed by Rio Wiki administrators and renaming file can happen depending upon his/her reasonable decision without requiring confirmation from the owner of the file.