Rio 2 is an upcoming 2014 American 3D computer-animated musical adventure comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and directed by Carlos Saldanha. It is the sequel to the 2011 computer-animated film Rio and the studio's first film to have a sequel outside of their existing Ice Age franchise. The title refers to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, where the films are set. The film will feature the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, will.i.am, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez, Tracy Morgan, Jemaine Clement, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro, and Jake T. Austin. The film is currently scheduled to be released on April 11, 2014, following the film's premiere in Brazil on March 28, 2014 and its UK release on April 4, 2014.
Blu, Jewel, and their three kids Bia, Carla, and Tiago, leave their domesticated life in the magical city for a journey to the Amazon where they encounter a menagerie of characters who are born to be wild.
Little relationship annoyances, such as Blu's continued un-macaw-like insistence on making pancakes for the kids, are no big deal. Blu's former human owner Linda has also moved from her cozy home in Minnesota to the reserve to be with the hunky wildlife preservationist Tulio.
But the idyllic life gets disrupted when Jewel discovers that her long-lost father and his clan have been discovered hiding in the Amazon rain forest, where their habitat is under threat.
Part of the issue is that Jewel's relatives, led by radical patriarch Eduardo (voiced by Andy García), don't trust humans — no matter how well-meaning. And Eduardo doesn't accept the domesticated Blu, even if the former house bird has learned to fly.
- Jesse Eisenberg as Tyler "Blu" Gunderson, a male Spix's Macaw from Minnesota.
- Anne Hathaway as Jewel, a female Spix's Macaw from Rio de Janeiro 
- Jemaine Clement as Nigel, a sadistic Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and the main antagonist.
- George Lopez as Rafael, a romantic Toco Toucan fond of Carnival
- Jamie Foxx as Nico, Pedro's close friend. He is a Yellow Canary with a green and blue striped bottlecap as a hat and tambourine. He loves to samba. 
- will.i.am as Pedro, a rapping Red-crested Cardinal and Nico's best friend. 
- Tracy Morgan as Luiz, a bulldog and a chainsaw expert who has a medical condition of drooling
- Bebel Gilberto as Eva, a Keel-billed Toucan and Rafael's wife
- Andy García as the radical patriarch Eduardo who leads Jewel's relatives
- Bruno Mars as a wild, yet very suave Spix's Macaw and Jewel's ex-boyfriend Roberto who stirs up Blu's jealousy 
- Kristin Chenoweth as Gabi, a small, poisonous frog who is in love with Nigel
- Rita Moreno as TBA
- Amandla Stenberg as Blu and Jewel's daughter, Bia
- Rachel Crow as Blu and Jewel's daughter, Carla
- Pierce Gagnon as Blu and Jewel's son, Tiago 
- Bebel Gilberto as Eva
- Bernardo de Paula as Kipo
- Miriam Wallen as Tiny
- Janelle Monáe as TBA
- Charlie, a non-speaking anteater
- Leslie Mann as Linda Gunderson, a girl who discovered Blu after he was taken from Rio de Janeiro to Moose Lake and adopted him for 15 years
- Rodrigo Santoro as Tulio Monteiro, a Brazilian ornithologist
- Jake T. Austin as Fernando, Marcel's former impoverished assistant
- Natalie Morales as a news reporter
In an interview after his nomination for the Academy Award for Best Original Song, Sérgio Mendes said that the film is likely to have a sequel, and that Carlos Saldanha is planning it for release in 2014, a few months before the 2014 FIFA World Cup, which will be held in Brazil. Also, a spokesperson for 20th Century Fox said that the studio is interested in turning Rio into a franchise.
- ""I think the plan is for the movie to come three or four months before the World Cup. Fox has been talking about (it) and it looks like it's going to happen. We're going to have a meeting I think next week and Carlos is coming to town to tell us the story, and it looks like it's a go.""
- ―Sérgio Mendes, January 25, 2012.
Variety states that Carlos Saldanha had officially signed a five-year deal with 20th Century Fox that allows him to helm live-action and/or animated films, with the sequel being part of that contractual agreement.
On April 7th, 2012, Deadline.com reported that Jesse Eisenberg has signed up to reprise his role as Blu, and Anne Hathaway has also signed on to reprise her role as Jewel. Rodrigo Santoro has confirmed his return to voice ornithologist Tulio Monteiro, as well as hinting that the sequel's setting will involve more of the Amazon.
On April 18, 2013, 20th Century Fox and Blue Sky Studios unveiled the first teaser trailer at the annual Las Vegas, Nevada CinemaCon.  On May 14, 2013, that same trailer was released online worldwide.
On June 18, 2013, a new promo poster was released at the Licensing Expo 2013 in Las Vegas.
On September 25, 2013, The official Rio Twitter account asked fans to tune in to Entertainment Tonight for an exclusive preview of the Rio 2 trailer. The program ended with a 20 second look at various scenes from the film. A replay of the preview was made available on the website the following day.
On October 2, 2013, that same theatrical trailer was released online worldwide.
- ""It's going to be unique. It's a new story, and in some songs, my band is part of it"Sérgio Mendes, October 23, 2013."
On December 10, 2013, NBC's The Today Show aired a video clip featuring more film footage, including a scene where Today Show news anchor Natalie Morales, for her animation debut, voices a newscaster modeled after her.
- "The success of the first film was the start of a franchise."
- ―20th Century Fox spokesperson, January 27, 2012.
A spokesperson for 20th Century Fox stated that they are interested in turning Rio into a franchise due to the original's gross success and critical acclaim.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Twentieth Century Fox Animation Announces RIO 2 Casting
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Sneak Peek: In 'Rio 2,' love is not just for the birds
- ↑ The Real "Rio": True Story of a Spix's Macaw
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Rio 2 (2014) - Full Cast & Crew
- ↑ 
- ↑ Sergio Mendes says a 'Rio' sequel 'looks like it's going to happen'
- ↑ 'Rio' helmer Carlos Saldanha inks Fox pact
- ↑ Jesse Eisenberg is leaving ICM for CAA
- ↑ Catwoman joining Thor on Spielberg's Robopocalypse?
- ↑ Rodrigo Santoro Talks 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE, RIO 2, HELENO and More
- ↑ Screenwriter Don Rhymer dies at 51
- ↑ CinemaCon: 20th Century Fox Previews Its 2013 Slate
- ↑ http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/04/22/cinemacon-fox-previews-epic-the-wolverine-rio-2-and-more/
- ↑ (UPDATED) Watch: Portuguese Teaser for Rio 2
- ↑ Sergio Mendes talks 'Rio,' Prince and The Black Eyed Peas
- ↑ Fox says Rio may become a franchise due to the first film's success.
- Official website
- Rio 2 at the Internet Movie Datbase
- Rio 2 at Rotten Tomatoes
- Rio 2 at Metacritic
- Rio 2 at Box Office Mojo
- Sneak Peek: In 'Rio 2,' love is not just for the birds.
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Bia • Carla • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love"|
|Blue Sky Studios|
|Ice Age (2002) • Robots (2005) • Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006) • Horton Hears A Who! (2008) • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) • Rio (2011) • Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) • Epic (2013)|
|Rio 2 (2014) • Peanuts (2015) • Anubis (2016) • Ferdinand (2017) • Spore (2017) • Rio 3 (2017)|
|Bunny (1998) • Gone Nutty (2002) • Aunt Fanny's Tour of Booty (2005) • No Time For Nuts (2006) • Surviving Sid (2008) • Scrat's Continental Crack-up (2010) • Ice Age: A Mammoth Christmas (2011)|