Rafael is a exceptionally romantic bird with twenty-one kids and was the life of party in his day. He serves as one of the three tritagonists of Rio and Rio 2, the other two being Nico and Pedro. Once known as "The King of Carnival," this Toco Toucan now has his twenty-one kids and a wife who keeps him close to the nest. He would never leave such familial bliss, except maybe to help some young birds who are in need... and the opportunity to visit Carnival one more time! He is voiced by George Lopez. He helps out Blu and Jewel along the way in Rio.
Rafael is first seen calling off his children from attacking Blu and Jewel, causing the excited kids to jump all over him instead. When Jewel asks, "Precious, aren't they?" Rafael answers, "Kids? Seventeen of them, and one on the way." He then catches two of them shaking their unhatched egg sibling, and commands them to stop. He then asks Blu and Jewel if they're headed for Carnival, calling them "lovebirds." Before they can answer, one of the chicks rips off some of Blu's feathers, after which Rafael tells Blu he and Eva are having him, the chick, tested. When the two blue macaws ask for his help in removing the chain from around their legs, he offers to take them to see Luiz. When, for the second time, one of his children get in his eye, he asks them if they want him to call their mother, Eva. Fearfully, they tell him no and fly away. Although Eva is against the idea of Rafael taking Blu and Jewel to Luiz, thinking he is sneaking off to Carnival, Rafael manages to sweet-talk her into letting him go, using memories of how they first met, and complimenting her awful singing voice.
After learning that Blu can't fly, Rafael attempts an impromptu lesson, telling him that flying is about "feeling the rhythm of your heart." After Blu fails, Rafael leads him and Jewel into town, where they meet Nico and Pedro. But Nico and Pedro tell them that they have missed the trolley that will take them to Luiz. Then Nico, Pedro and Rafael take them to a bird's Samba Club while they wait for the next trolley to Luiz.
At the club, Blu starts dancing. Rafael nudges him into dancing with Jewel, looking on proudly while they perform a beautiful duet. When the marmosets attack, Rafael attempts to settle things peacefully, but when that fails, a war is declared by Pedro and he joins in the fight, taking down several of them.
On the trolley to Luiz's garage, Rafael plays matchmaker again, giving Blu romantic advice while Nico sings mood-setting music. When Rafael tells him to tell Jewel how he feels, unfortunately, Blu ends up making mistakes and choking (literally, due to a blossom's petal landing in his beak while he is trying to explain) and failing due to his awkwardness.
The group meets with Luiz, a bulldog, and he tries to break the chain by using the Groove Cutter. Everything goes wrong but in the end, they were released with Luiz' drool lubricating the chain. Rafael, Nico and Pedro flew with Jewel inside then outside of Luiz's garage leaving Blu depressed. After Blu and Jewel have an argument and part ways, culminating in Blu saying that he hates samba, making Nico cry and Pedro said that was too much. As a result both Blu and Jewel leave angrily. Rafael goes after Blu, telling him that he is returning to his family, and that the decision came from his heart, and not from his mind. When Nico and Pedro came back, they then learned that Nigel has captured Jewel, and mount a rescue. When Rafael, Nico and Pedro found Jewel, they were captured along with Blu. After being loaded into the smugglers' plane, Blu manages to escape his cage, freeing the others, who all fly out of the plane to freedom.
In the final scene, Rafael is seen back in his tree home, singing and snuggling with his wife and children.
| Spoiler Warning!|
This page or section contains plot details or other media contents about an upcoming episode or film. Proceed at your own discretion.
Rafael loves life, loves Rio and lives for Carnival. Now that He, Nico and Pedro are on the hunt for new musical artists he can’t wait to get the audition process started. They’ve pretty much exhausted the talent base in Rio, but they think the Amazon and its thousands and thousands of creatures will have all types of talent and amazing performances.
When Nico, Pedro and Luiz have their doubts about Blu being up to the rigors of an expedition to the Amazon, the ever-positive Rafael encourages Blu, as Blu grows concerned that he's not bird enough for Jewel, Raffie's simple advice, "happy wife, happy life" inspires Blu to try to embrace the wild and "bird up”.
Always up for an adventure, especially when it involves getting a break from his family, Rafael is quick to join the trip to the Amazon once he realizes his buddy will probably need his help.
Rafael is a Toco toucan who's slightly plump, with black feathers, and a white underside, neck, and cheeks. He has blue eyelids, and orange facial markings around his eyes. His eye color is brown, his feet are blue, and his beak is yellow, with a red stripe on top, and black markings on the tip.
Rafael is a suave, handsome, intelligent, free-spirited, smooth-talking, calm, romantic and outgoing type of bird. He is kind and helpful, giving his assistance and wisdom to those who need it. Though he seems to be tired of his family at first, he cares about them enough to forsake Carnival.
Rafael is friendly towards Blu (as if he was his own son, which can be presumed when he says, "That's my boy."), offering him to teach him how to fly, and assisting him in "wooing" Jewel. However, it doesn't work so well, because Blu said to Jewel "I have beautiful eyes" instead of telling her "You have beautiful eyes", as Rafael suggested.
Rafael is just as friendly towards Jewel as he is to Blu, though he teases her slightly by often referring to her and Blu as "lovebirds".
Nico and Pedro are old friends/amigos of Rafael's from his younger days. Rafael refers to them as "family" and enlists their help in "setting the mood" for Blu and Jewel during their trolley ride. He also sends them after Jewel following her and Blu's argument.
Rafael had no on-screen interactions with Nigel, although he was overpowered and captured by him off-screen.
Though Rafael loves Eva deeply, he is a little bit scared of her, likely because she is really demanding. But she can know when to trust him.
Luiz is another old friend of Rafael's, whom he easily convinced to cut the chain off Blu and Jewel's legs, even after Jewel insulted him.
Rafael cares for all of Blu and Jewel's kids, offering to babysit for them (although he got Luiz to do it for him). Of all of them, he, Nico and Pedro are closest to Carla. Carla helps them judge the auditions, and the four are seen fighting together during the battle with the loggers, dropping turtles into the fight.
- Smooth talking
- Sweet talking
- He is a Toco Toucan who has a red, yellow and black beak, black and white feathers and blue feet.
- He is one of the three tritagonists of the film.
- Like his children, he is afraid/scared to death of Eva.
- He is known as "The King of Carnival", as mentioned by Nico.
- Rafael is voiced by George Lopez, a film actor who also voices characters in Beverly Hills Chihuahua 1, 2, & 3, Marmaduke, and stars in his own TV show & Reno 911.
- It is likely that Rafael is named after one of the director's children, Rafael Saldanha, while one of his children is named after Carlos Saldanha himself. Or he may possibly have been named after one of the film's storyboard artists, Rafael Zentil.
- During the final song of the movie, Rafael and Eva are seen with three of their kids. These kids must be newborn because they look exactly like their other kids from earlier in the movie. This means that Rafael and Eva had three more kids after their eighteen other kids grew up.
- One promotional image for Rafael depicted him wearing goggles, though he never actually wore any in the film.
- Rafael: "What's going on down there?"
- Rafael: "Go, go, off with you!"
- Rafael: "Works everytime, they're scared to death of her."
- Rafael: "You want me to call your mother?"
- Rafael: "Lucky for you, you know Rafael, and Rafael knows everyone."
- Rafael: "I've told you a thousand times."
- Rafael: "Manuela, Sofia, come on now, listen to me."
- Rafael: "Kids? Seventeen of them, and one on the way."
- Rafael: "Hey, he's not a maraca, stop shaking him!"
- Rafael: "They're giving me gray feathers!"
- Rafael: "Oh, this papa needs a break!"
- Rafael: "Oh no, don't look back, they sense fear."
- Rafael: "Sorry, Eva, I'm not gonna be home for dinner."
- Rafael: "Put... the spork... down."
- Rafael: "So, you two love birds heading for Carnival?"
- Rafael: "I must take this young couple to see Luiz."
- Rafael: "Come on, you're not gonna back out now."
- Rafael: "Not in front of the lady."
- Rafael: "Come on, amigo, it's not like she's gonna bite!"
- Rafael: "Ai caramba!"
- Rafael: "Can't we all just get along?"
- Rafael: "All right, that's the spirit."
- Rafael: "Not far, thirty minutes as the crow flies."
- Rafael: "I like you, nothing you say makes any sense!"
- Rafael: "Hey, she likes you."
- Rafael: "No, but I've been watching."
- Rafael: "Just be yourself."
- Rafael: "Go on."
- Rafael: "You guys were like fire and ice."
- Rafael: "You belong together, you are Juliet to his Romeo."
- Rafael: "Sure they both die in the end, but... you get my point."
- Rafael: "You see? Nothing you say makes any sense!"
- Rafael: "Ah, young love, always so melodramatic."
- Rafael: "All right, boys, go after her."
- Rafael: "Blu come back here, come on."
- Rafael: "I'm not going to Carnival, no, I'm going home."
- Rafael: "I do, but I love my family much more."
- Rafael: "And that's a choice I made with this... not with this."
- Rafael: "Alright guys, I'll fly ahead and look for Jewel."
- Rafael: "Okay so he needs a little help."
- Rafael: "Come on let's give him some, set the mood."
- Rafael: "Hey, Luiz, stop scaring my friends."
- Rafael: "Don't worry, he's a professional."
- Rafael: "Just clear the air, just be completely honest with each other."
- Rafael: "Guess who won this year's Billboard Rising Star Award?"
- Rafael: "Janelle Monáe!"
- Rafael: "We love you, baby!"
- Rafael: "You guys are late."
- Rafael: "That was amazing!"
- Rafael: "Don't worry Blu, those stories are always highly exaggerated!"
- Rafael: "Remember, happy wife, happy life!"
- Rafael: "Wait up family! I'm coming too!"
- Rafael: "Don't worry buddy, we got your back."
- Rafael: "Yeah, sure - I promised her a spot in the carnival show."
- Rafael: "I know I am."
- Rafael: "Let's go birds."
- Rafael: "That was amazing, baby! You hit every note, right guys?"
- Rafael: "Don't worry, I'll talk to them - we'll find you a spot!"
- Rafael: "Yeah... we'll be right here."
- Rafael: "Hold your mangos, we still have Eva."
- Rafael: "Don't I know you from somewhere?"
- Rafael: "You're no Eva, but that was amazing!"
- Rafael: "I told you I knew him from somewhere."
- Rafael: "Yeah, sing it baby!"
- Main article: Rafael/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Bia • Carla • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Felipe • Tiny • Clara|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • Samba de Orly • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love"|