Rafael is a exceptionally romantic bird with twenty-one kids and was the life of party in his day. He serves as one of the three tritagonists of Rio and Rio 2, the other two being Nico and Pedro. Once known as "The King of Carnival", this Toco Toucan now has twenty-one kids and a wife who keep him close to the nest. He would never leave such familial bliss, except maybe to help some young birds who are in need... and the opportunity to visit Carnival one more time! He is voiced by George Lopez.
Rafael is first seen calling off his children from attacking Blu and Jewel, causing the excited kids to jump all over him instead. When Jewel asks, "Precious, aren't they?" Rafael answers, "Kids? Seventeen of them, and one on the way." He then catches two of them shaking their unhatched egg sibling, and commands them to stop. He then asks Blu and Jewel if they're headed for Carnival, calling them "lovebirds." After protesting the name and some awkward declarations of what they are, Blu is interrupted by one of the chicks pulling out some of his feathers, after which Rafael tells Blu he and Eva are having the said chick tested. When the two blue macaws ask for his help in removing the chain from around their legs, he offers to take them to see Luiz. When, for the second time, one of his children get in his eye, he asks them if they want him to call their mother, Eva. Fearfully, they tell him no and fly away. Eva comes and startles Rafael before hearing of his intentions. Although Eva is against the idea of Rafael taking Blu and Jewel to Luiz, thinking he is sneaking off to Carnival, Rafael manages to sweet-talk her into letting him go, recalling how they first met whilst singing their song 'The Girl from Ipanema', and complimenting her awful singing voice.
After learning that Blu can't fly, Rafael attempts an impromptu lesson, telling him that flying is about "feeling the rhythm of your heart." After Blu fails, Rafael leads him and Jewel into town, where they meet Nico and Pedro. But Nico and Pedro tell them that they have missed the trolley that will take them to Luiz. Then Nico, Pedro, and Rafael take them to a bird's Samba Club while they wait for the next trolley to Luiz.
At the club, Blu starts dancing. Rafael nudges him into dancing with Jewel, looking on proudly while they perform a beautiful duet. When the marmosets attack, Rafael attempts to settle things peacefully, but when that fails, a war is declared by Pedro and he joins in the fight, and takes out several of them.
On the trolley to Luiz's garage, Rafael plays matchmaker again, giving Blu romantic advice (which Blu misinterprets) while Nico sings mood-setting music. When Rafael tells him to tell Jewel how he feels, unfortunately, Blu ends up making mistakes and choking (literally, due to a blossom's petal landing in his beak while he is trying to explain) and failing due to his awkwardness.
The group meets with Luiz, a bulldog, and he tries to break the chain by using the Groove Cutter. Everything goes wrong, but in the end, they were released with Luiz's drool lubricating the chain. Rafael, Nico, and Pedro flew with Jewel inside then outside of Luiz's garage leaving Blu depressed. After Blu and Jewel have an argument and part ways, culminating in Blu saying that he hates samba, making Nico cry and Pedro saying that was too far. As a result, both Blu and Jewel leave angrily. While Nico and Pedro follow Jewel, Rafael goes after Blu, telling him that he is returning to his family instead of celebrating carnival and that the decision came from his heart, and not from his mind. When Nico and Pedro come back, they reveal that Nigel has captured Jewel, and, led by Blu, they mount a rescue. When Rafael, Nico, and Pedro find Jewel, they are captured along with Blu. After being loaded into the smugglers' plane, Blu manages to escape his cage, freeing the others, who all fly out of the plane to freedom.
In the final scene, Rafael is seen back in his tree home, singing and snuggling with his wife and children.
Rafael loves life, loves Rio and lives for Carnival. Now that He, Nico and Pedro are on the hunt for new musical artists, he can’t wait to get the audition process started. They’ve pretty much exhausted the talent base in Rio, but they think the Amazon and its thousands and thousands of creatures will have all types of talent and amazing performances.
When Nico, Pedro and Luiz have their doubts about Blu being up to the rigors of an expedition to the Amazon, the ever-positive Rafael encourages Blu, as Blu grows concerned that he's not bird enough for Jewel, Rafi's simple advice, "Happy wife, happy life," inspires Blu to try to embrace the wild and "bird up."
Always up for an adventure, especially when it involves getting a break from his family, Rafael is quick to join the trip to the Amazon once he realizes his buddy will probably need his help.
Rafael is first seen at the new year's celebrations, dancing with Eva. This surprises Blu and Jewel, as he was supposed to be babysitting their kids. Rafael then tells them he got Luiz to do it.
Some time later, Rafael, along with Nico and Pedro, judges Eva's Carnival audition. Although it was terrible, Rafael applauds her. Blu then arrives, informing them of his family's trip to the Amazon. Although Nico, Pedro and Luiz warn him of the dangers, Rafael tells Blu they are "highly exaggerated," and that he should go if it's important to Jewel. He then tells him, "Remember: happy wife, happy life." He, Nico and Pedro later join them on their trip, Rafael having promised Eva a spot on the Carnival show in exchange for letting him go.
Once they get to the Amazon, they are brought to the home of the Spix's macaw tribe, where Rafael tries to calm a scared Blu, who is brandishing a spork. During the reunion between Jewel and Eduardo, Rafael encourages Blu to make himself known to Jewel's father. Rafael later tries to console Nico and Pedro, who had been informed by Eduardo that they couldn't take any of the Spix's macaw tribe back with them to Rio for Carnival, telling them they still have Eva (which does not comfort Pedro or Nico in any way whatsoever). The next morning, Carla takes charge, organizing auditions from the other jungle animals. Rafael comments that she has been "working", based by the number of contestants. The auditions are rather extreme, often frightening, shocking, or strange. A few are good, yet sometimes have their downsides. When a disguised Nigel tumbles on stage, Rafael thinks he looks "familiar". Nigel then performs "I Will Survive," impressing them.
When Blu expresses his fears about Jewel to them, Rafael reminds him of his earlier advice.
During the battle against the loggers, Rafael, along with Nico, Pedro, and Carla, drops turtles on the loggers heads. He is also seen applauding at Nigel and Gabi's "death" scene. When Nigel is unmasked, Rafael remarks to Nico and Pedro that he knew he looked familiar.
During "Batucada Familia," he cheers Eva on as she sings, and is shocked when a bunch of little birds tie her up in leaves.
In the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel, Rafael makes a small appearance alongside Nico and Pedro when Blu and Jewel decide to leave the kids in their care while they travel to the Pedra de Gavea. He tries to teach the kids to dance, but they are not interested. When the kids trick them into playing hide-and-seek and then sneak off afterwards, Rafael is at first calm and confident. When Nico and Pedro fail to find the kids, he attempts to help find them for the entire timespan of the novel, yet is unsuccessful. In the end, he is seen calling out to the nowhere-to-be-seen kids, telling them to reveal their hiding spot so that he may use it to hide from his eighteen kids when they come looking for him.
Rafael is a Toco toucan who is slightly plump, with black feathers, and a white underside, neck, and cheeks. He has blue eyelids, and orange facial markings around his eyes. He has brown eyes and blue feet. His beak is yellow, with a red stripe on top, and black markings on the tip.
Rafael is a suave and free-spirited sort of bird. He puts his family before himself (despite first appearing to be tired of his eighteen kids and terrified of his mate), loving them dearly. He follows his heart and not his mind, and is good at giving advice. Rafael is loyal and devoted to his family and friends, and seems to be a peace-maker, attempting to try and make everybody get along and make things run smoothly. Rafael is fond of carnival and celebrations, and is enthusiastic, encouraging others if they are hesitant or nervous about something. He is also wise and intelligent, and always looks on the bright side of life.
Rafael is friendly towards Blu (as if he was his own son, which can be presumed when he says, "That's my boy."), offering to teach him how to fly, and assisting him in "wooing" Jewel. However, it doesn't work so well; Blu said to Jewel "I have beautiful eyes" instead of telling her "You have beautiful eyes," as Rafael suggested. Rafael often offers Blu words of wisdom and advice.
In Rio 2, Rafael suggests that Blu agree to taking the family to the Amazon if it would make Jewel happy, adding, "Happy wife, happy life." He even decided to join them, telling Blu he has his back.
Rafael is just as friendly towards Jewel as he is to Blu, though he teases her slightly by often referring to her and Blu as "lovebirds".
Nico and Pedro are old friends/amigos of Rafael from his younger days. Rafael refers to them as "family" and enlists their help in "setting the mood" for Blu and Jewel during their trolley ride. He also sends them after Jewel following her and Blu's argument.
In Rio 2, the three hold auditions for Carnival, in both Rio and the Amazon.
Rafael had no on-screen interactions with Nigel in Rio, although he was overpowered and captured by him off-screen. In Rio 2, he is the only one out of himself, Nico and Pedro to realize that the disguised Nigel looks familiar. When Nigel is unmasked, Rafael remarks, "I told you I knew him from somewhere."
Though Rafael loves Eva deeply, he is a little bit scared of her, likely because she is really demanding. But she knows when to trust him. They met in Carnival when the song, "The Girl From Ipanema," was playing. Rafael is a great fan of her singing, even thought most people don't like it (causing Jewel to joke "I guess love is deaf too").
In Rio 2, he applauds her Carnival audition, despite it being terrible. At the end of the movie, he asks her to sing once more. He enjoys listening to her, but gets surprised to see Nico and Pedro wrap her around with leaves preventing her to perform.
Luiz is another old friend of Rafael's, whom he easily convinced to cut the chain off Blu and Jewel's legs, even after Jewel insulted him.
Rafael cares for all of Blu and Jewel's kids, offering to babysit for them (although he later got Luiz to do it for him). Of all of them, he, Nico and Pedro are closest to Carla. Carla helps them judge the auditions, and the four are seen fighting together during the battle with the loggers, dropping turtles into the fight.
Rafael is also seen babysitting the kids in the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel. He claims that babysitting the three will be a vacation compared to his eighteen kids at home. However, he fails to entertain them, and begins searching for them along with Nico and Pedro when the kids escape under the cover of playing hide-and-seek. At the end of the novel, he is seen shouting as he searches for the kids, telling them to show him their hiding spot.
- Smooth talking
- Sweet talking
- He is a Toco Toucan who has a red, yellow and black beak, black and white feathers and blue feet.
- He is one of the three tritagonists of the film.
- Like his children, he is afraid/scared to death of Eva.
- He is known as "The King of Carnival", as mentioned by Nico.
- Rafael is voiced by George Lopez, a film actor who also voices characters in Beverly Hills Chihuahua 1, 2, & 3, Marmaduke, and stars in his own TV shows & Reno 911.
- It is likely that Rafael is named after one of the director's children, Rafael Saldanha, while one of his children is named after Carlos Saldanha himself. Or he may possibly have been named after one of the film's storyboard artists, Rafael Zentil.
- During the final song of the movie, Rafael and Eva are seen with three of their kids. These kids must be newborn because they look exactly like their other kids from earlier in the movie. This means that Rafael and Eva had three more kids after their eighteen other kids grew up. Also, in The Art of Rio: Featuring a Carnival of Art From Rio and Rio 2, they have been confirmed to have twenty-one kids in total.
- One promotional image for Rafael depicted him wearing goggles, though he never actually wore any in the film.
- His commenting of hiding from his eighteen kids during the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel gives a suggestion to the novel's time frame between the movies.
- In a Western Union commercial, Rafael stated that he has a sister with five chicks.
Quotes from Rio
- Rafael: "What's going on down there?"
- Rafael: "Go, go, off with you!"
- Rafael: "Works everytime, they're scared to death of her."
- Rafael: "Okay, you want me to call your mother?"
- Rafael: "Lucky for you, you know Rafael, and Rafael knows everyone."
- Rafael: "Guys, I've told you a thousand times."
- Rafael: "Manuela, Sofia, come on now, listen to me."
- Rafael: "Kids? Seventeen of them, and one on the way."
- Rafael: "You are an angel."
- Rafael: "Ow, again with the eye!"
- Rafael: "I'll miss you my juicy little mango."
- Rafael: "Eva my love."
- Rafael: "Aww, Carnival."
- Rafael: "That magical time when I met the most beautiful bird in the world."
- Rafael: "I still remember the song that was playing when I first laid eyes on you."
- Rafael: "Come on baby sing it!"
- Rafael: "Like a river of the sweetest honey."
- Rafael: "I can't believe she actually let me go."
- Rafael: "Hey, he's not a maraca, stop shaking him!"
- Rafael: "They're giving me gray feathers!"
- Rafael: "Oh, this papa needs a break!"
- Rafael: "So, you two love birds heading for Carnival?"
- Rafael: "But he's a bird."
- Rafael: "I want to help."
- Rafael: "To walk the whole way, it can't be done."
- Rafael: "Oh no, don't look back, they sense fear."
- Rafael: "Sorry, Eva, I'm not gonna be home for dinner."
- Rafael: "I must take this young couple to see Luiz."
- Rafael: "Come on, you're not gonna back out now."
- Rafael: "Not in front of the lady."
- Rafael: "Come on, amigo, it's not like she's gonna bite!"
- Rafael: "Will you?"
- Rafael: "Ai caramba!"
- Rafael: "Can't we all just get along?"
- Rafael: "All right, that's the spirit."
- Rafael: "Don't worry Blu, it's in your DNA"
- Rafael: "If our featherless friends can do it, how hard can it be?"
- Rafael: "Fun right?"
- Rafael: "Now, I need you two to get closer."
- Rafael: "Now put your wings around each other."
- Rafael: "Now, you hold out your right wing and you hold out your left wing."
- Rafael: "Together, you fly."
- Rafael: "When you feel rythem of your heart it's like samba."
- Rafael: "You fly."
- Rafael: "Actually that was pretty much my entire plan."
- Rafael: "See it's easy!"
- Rafael: "Do you feel it?"
- Rafael: "All right Blu you're flying!"
- Rafael: "Sort of, not really."
- Rafael: "You did not feel it in here"
- Rafael: "Let's catch a ride to Luiz."
- Rafael: "Hurry you two, vamos, vamos!"
- Rafael: "Come on lovebirds."
- Rafael: "You made it."
- Rafael: "Nico! Pedro! What up family?"
- Rafael: "Relax, If I know Luiz we're right where we wanna be."
- Rafael: "Hey guys were looking for Luiz have you seen him?"
- Rafael: "Not far, thirty minutes as the crow flies."
- Rafael: "I like you, nothing you say makes any sense!"
- Rafael: "Hey, she likes you."
- Rafael: "No, but I've been watching."
- Rafael: "Just be yourself."
- Rafael: "Go on."
- Rafael: "You guys were like fire and ice."
- Rafael: "Hey Luiz, stop scaring my friends."
- Rafael: "Wait come back!"
- Rafael: "You belong together!"
- Rafael: "You are Juliet to his Romeo!"
- Rafael: "Sure they both die in the end, but... you get my point."
- Rafael: "You see? Nothing you say makes any sense!"
- Rafael: "Don't worry, he's a professional."
- Rafael: "Ah, young love, always so melodramatic."
- Rafael: "All right, boys, go after her."
- Rafael: "Blu come back here, come on."
- Rafael: "I'm not going to Carnival, no, I'm going home."
- Rafael: "I do, but I love my family much more."
- Rafael: "And that's a choice I made with this... not with this."
- Rafael: "Alright guys, I'll fly ahead and look for Jewel."
- Rafael: "Hello ladies."
- Rafael: "Blu, We found her!"
- Rafael: "Come on!"
- Rafael: "Okay so he needs a little help."
- Rafael: "Come on let's give him some, set the mood."
- Rafael: "You know what, this is good."
- Rafael: "Just clear the air, just be completely honest with each other."
- Rafael: "You know what, this is good."
- Rafael: "What kind of mood is that?"
- Rafael: "Yep, that's my boy."
- Rafael: "There he goes, that's my boy."
- Rafael: "Ladies and gentlemen I give you: Luiz's garage."
Quotes from Rio 2
- Rafael: "Put... the spork... down."
- Rafael: "Guess who won this year's Billboard Rising Star Award?"
- Rafael: "Janelle Monáe!"
- Rafael: "We love you, baby!"
- Rafael: "You guys are late."
- Rafael: "That was amazing!"
- Rafael: "Don't worry Blu."
- Rafael: "All those stories are always highly exaggerated!"
- Rafael: "Of course!"
- Rafael: "If this is important to Jewel, just do it."
- Rafael: "Happy wife, happy life!"
- Rafael: "Remember that."
- Rafael: "Wait up family! I'm coming too!"
- Rafael: "Don't worry buddy, we got your back."
- Rafael: "Yeah, sure."
- Rafael: "I promised her a spot in the carnival show."
- Rafael: "I know I am."
- Rafael: "Let's go birds."
- Rafael: "That was amazing, Eva darling you hit every note, huh guys?"
- Rafael: "Don't worry, I'll talk to them - we'll find the perfect spot for you!"
- Rafael: "Yeah... we'll be right here."
- Rafael: "Hold your mangos, we still have Eva."
- Rafael: "Don't I know you from somewhere?"
- Rafael: "You're no Eva, but you're awesome."
- Rafael: "I told you I knew him from somewhere."
- Rafael: "Yeah, sing it baby!"
- Rafael: "You look familiar."
- Rafael: "Kids been working."
Quotes from Rio: Snakes Alive!
- Rafael: "Are you kidding me? With eighteen at home, watching three kids will be a vacation!"
- Rafael: "We helped your daddy fly, now we're gonna teach you to dance!"
- Rafael: "Okay, okay! You amateurs just don't know how kids' minds work!"
- Rafael: "Yecch, I didn't even know worms had mouths!"
- Rafael: "And show me your hiding spot! I want to use it next time my eighteen kids come looking for me!"
Quotes from Rio 2: The Junior Novel
- Rafael: "Let's take five."
- Main article: Rafael/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Carla • Bia • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Big Boss • Felipe • Tiny • Claira|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Let Me Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • "Samba de Orly" • "Funky Monkey" • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love" • "Rio Rio" • "Batucada Familia"|