Nico is a Yellow Canary, and Pedro's best friend. He and Pedro became friends with Blu when he first came to Rio de Janeiro. Nico wears a blue-green bottlecap as a hat, which he can also use as a tambourine and a weapon, similar to a Frisbee. He also owns a Samba Club with Pedro within the marketplace of Rio. He serves as one of the three tritagonists of Rio and Rio 2, with the other two being Rafael and Pedro. He is voiced by Jamie Foxx.
Nico and Pedro first meet Blu when he arrives in Rio de Janeiro. Upon hearing that he's there to meet a girl, they give him some advice on how to attract her. They then attempt to free Blu from the cage, but Blu dissuades them. They meet again in the marketplace, where Rafael took them to see Luiz. They inform Rafael that Luiz left on a trolley, but that they can catch the next one. Nico and Pedro then take the two blue macaws to a birds' samba club. Nico starts to sing "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" together with Pedro. Suddenly, they were attacked by the marmosets, led by Mauro. During the fight, he and Nico use grapes to hit the monkeys. Kipo, a Roseate Spoonbill, help Blu and Jewel escape from some marmosets by grabbing their chain and carrying them to the trolley. When the marmosets try to stop them by forming a chain and grabbing Blu, Nico throws his bottlecap at the lead marmoset, knocking him off. Eventually, the birds escape onto the trolley and set off to Luiz's garage.
On the way to Luiz's garage, Rafael decided to "set the mood" for Blu to confess his love to Jewel. Nico starts to sing "Fly Love" while Pedro plays the trolley's cable strings as a guitar while Rafael knocks off cherry blossoms from the trees. Blu blows up the moment by saying the wrong things and being choked by a flower petal getting stuck in his throat. Watching this, Pedro gets Nico to stop singing, and Nico imitates a falling bomb, as they see Jewel giving Blu the heimlich maneuver to save him.
The group meets with Luiz, who turns out to be a bulldog, and he tries to break the chain by using a table saw. After a series of chaotic events, Blu and Jewel are released when Luiz's drool lubricates the chain. Nico, Jewel, Rafael, and Pedro fly off together, leaving Blu depressed. After a statement to go back to Linda instead of staying with Jewel, he gets into an argument with Jewel, culminating in Blu saying that he hates samba, which makes Nico cry. Hardly believing that Blu said it out loud, he begged Pedro, "Make the mean bird (Blu) take it back!" When Jewel flies off, Nico and Pedro follow, witnessing her being captured by Nigel. Together with Blu and Rafael, they go to the Carnival to look for her and they find her in a "weird chicken float." Nigel catches them all, including Rafael.
While in the smugglers' plane, Blu managed to escape from his cage and helped Jewel escape from her cage to be able to free the other birds too. After breaking out all of the birds, Blu opens the plane's hatch, which lets them escape to freedom.
Nico and Pedro make their final appearance in the film during the "Real in Rio" reprise.
| Spoiler Warning!|
This page or section contains plot details or other media contents about an upcoming episode or film. Proceed at your own discretion.
Nico and Pedro are on the hunt for new musical artists. Carnival is just around the corner, and the birds need a new group of musicians to put on the biggest show on Earth. When Nico hears Blu is headed to the Amazon, he, Pedro and Luiz warn him of the myriad dangers that could lie ahead in the wild, having their doubts about Blu being up to the rigors of the expedition.
Then Nico and Pedro decide to join the trip to scout new talent for the upcoming Carnival. Their adventure becomes a South American Idol of sorts as these city birds audition a bevy of unique new animals (some with talent, some without), all who exhibit a wild jungle flair.
Nico is first seen with Pedro, singing during the new year's celebrations. They next appear with Rafael, judging Eva's Carnival audition. When Rafael says they'll find the perfect spot for her in the show, Nico adds "Antarctica, maybe" under his breath. Blu then arrives with the news that he and his family are going to the Amazon. Nico and the others tell him of the dangers to be found there, with Nico talking of "giant snakes that can swallow ya whole." Nico and Pedro later decide to join them, seeking to find new talent in the jungle.
After discovering the blue macaw tribe in the jungle, Nico and Pedro cry upon seeing Eduardo hug Blu. Following their taking part in "Beautiful Creatures," Nico declares himself inspired, intending to bring some of the tribe back to Rio. His plans are curtailed when Eduardo tells him that none of the tribe are allowed to leave the jungle. He also takes Nico's bottlecap hat, telling him that no human items are allowed. Nico reacts with shock, saying that he feels "naked," and desperately tries to find a replacement (Eventually settling for a hat made of straw).
The next morning, Carla wakes Nico, Pedro, and Rafael up, having organised some Carnival auditions from the jungle's inhabitants. After several lacklustre performances, a disguised Nigel accidentally arrives. He goes along with the idea of an audition, performing a song that impresses them.
Later on, they hear Blu's worries about Jewel, and Nico advises him to try and see the jungle through her eyes.
During the battle against the loggers, Nico, along with Pedro, Rafael and Carla, drop a pair of turtles onto the loggers' heads. Nico sings "Batucada Familia," alongside Pedro and Carla. Eduardo returns his bottlecap hat, much to Nico's joy.
Nico, Pedro and Rafael make a short appearance during Rio: Snakes Alive! when Blu and Jewel decide to leave the kids in their care while they go to the Pedra de Gavea. Nico assures the kids that that they will have fun, then attempt to teach them to dance, which the kids are uninterested in. Carla tricks them into playing hide-and-seek while she and her siblings escape after their parents. Nico, Pedro, and Rafael spend the rest of the novel uselessly attempting to find the escaped birds, which leaves them all exhausted.
Nico is a small and slender yellow canary. He has yellow feathers with a white chest, white underwings, and brown-tipped wings and tail. His eye color is brown and he has a bright orange beak and legs. He wears a bottle cap as a hat, with green and blue curvy wide lines, simulating Copacabana's streets.
"Nico is a little yellow ball of energy who lives for music," says the Oscar-winning actor Jamie Foxx.
Nico is very much like Pedro: a handsome, nice, outgoing type of bird. He's very brotherly when it comes to his best friend Pedro. He loves music, partying, and likes to samba as much as Pedro, but gets upset when somebody says they hate samba; when Blu said so, it made Nico cry.
Nico and Pedro are best friends. They act like brothers and show a lot of brotherly love throughout the film. They are always seen together; they also love to sing and dance with each other. He and Pedro both give Blu advice on how to get the girls. When Blu made Nico cry, he cried on Pedro's shoulder, which also shows that Nico trusts Pedro a lot. Nico is the singer while Pedro is the rapper, making for an effective music duo.
Nico is good friends with Blu. Since Blu is new to Rio, Nico shows Blu how to "samba" or party. He also gives Blu advice on how to get a girl by telling him to "make the first move" because "Brazilian ladies respond to confidence." Nico also tries to "set the mood" for Blu and Jewel. Nico cries when Blu said that he hated samba, although he forgives Blu suddenly which is proven as he and Pedro go out to get Jewel to bring her back to Blu.
Nico and Jewel are good friends but rarely talk with each other (Jewel ignores him and Pedro most of the time). Though Nico agrees with Pedro that Jewel is hot, he doesn't seem to have any romantic feelings for her. After Blu and Jewel get into a fight, Nico and Pedro go after Jewel to try and get her to come back to Blu, only to see Jewel get taken by Nigel.
Nico and Rafael have known each other for quite sometime. Rafael refers to Nico and Pedro as "family" and Nico called Rafael "The King of Carnival."
Nico is afraid of Nigel, after seeing him take Jewel. Pedro was ready to go after Jewel and Nigel. But Nico said "Did you see the talons on that guy?" Obviously proving that he didn't want to mess with Nigel, they flew for their lives. When Nico and Pedro go to tell Blu that Nigel has Jewel, Pedro says, "...I saw this big cockatoo!" and Nico then says, "With big ninja talons! And he was like, 'You're coming with me, you little princess!'" with a scared look on his face.
Nico is good friends with Luiz, though during the attempt to rescue Jewel, Nico gets a face full of the bulldog's drool.
Although his interactions with Bia and Tiago aren't shown very often, the kids have a close relationship with him and Pedro (Rafael as well), calling them all uncles in the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel. Out of the three, Carla seems to hold Nico and Pedro in highest regard, changing her mind about not going to the Amazon when she learns they're are going. She also assists them in scouting for talent once they get there.
- Speaking Portuguese
- Playing random objects as musical instruments
- Using his bottlecap as a tambourine
- Sometimes using his bottlecap as a weapon like a flying disc
- Nico is a Yellow Canary who wears a bottle cap for a hat.
- Nico is voiced by Jamie Foxx.
- Nico uses his bottle cap both as a tambourine (shown in the Samba Club), and as weapon (shown during the fight with the marmosets.)
- Nico and Pedro are best friends. They are always seen together, flying together, dancing together, singing together, and partying together.
- Even though Nico and Pedro are not in Angry Birds Rio, they still appear as merchandise for the game (in the form of plush toys).
- The design on his bottle cap is that of Copacabana's pavement.
- In Rio 2, Eduardo takes his bottle cap hat from him. And so he begins trying on replacements made out of leafs, flowers, and other things from the jungle. He wears a straw hat for most of the remainder of the film, but briefly dons a flower hat during "Batucada Familia," until he has his bottle cap hat returned to him.
- Nico: "E ai, tudo bom?" ("Hey, how are you?")
- Nico: "Little word of advice, you make the first move."
- Nico: "Brazilian ladies respond to confidence."
- Nico: "Funny, you don't look like one."
- Nico: "Ah well, suit yourself!"
- Nico: "Bem-vindo!" ("Welcome!")
- Nico: "If it isn't The King of Carnival!"
- Nico: "You call that popping?"
- Nico: "Now that's popping!"
- Nico: "I think our love lesson went down smooth."
- Nico: "Baby got beak!"
- Nico: "Take that, you funky monkey!"
- Nico: "You guys were like fire and ice."
- Nico: "Yep, that's your boy, all right."
- Nico: "Pedro, Pedro, a little too aggressive."
- Nico: "Not hatin' on your creativity, but I think I got this one."
- Nico: "Follow my lead."
- Nico: "What are we standing around for? It's Carnival!"
- Nico: "Uh... I think he means us."
- Nico: "Hey, birds, stop yappin' and start flappin'! Let's go!"
- Nico: "Make the mean bird take it back!"
- Nico: "Welcome to paradise!"
- Nico: "Wait up."
- Nico: "Did you see the talons on that guy?!"
- Nico: "Hey, dog, I'm drowning back here."
- Nico: "With big ninja talons."
- Nico: "And then Jewel was there, and then he snatched Jewel up!"
- Nico: "And then he was like, 'You're coming with me, you little princess!'"
- Nico: "Come on, let's rock this jungle!"
- Nico: "Man, we thought you were dead!"
- Nico: "All right, everyone, listen up!"
- Nico: "Rafie has some special guests from out of town, and let's show them some love, because I don't think they get out much."
- Nico: "Party in Ipanema, baby."
- Nico: "Relax, baby bird, you can catch the next one."
- Nico: *whispers* "Antarctica, maybe."
- Nico: "Blu?"
- Nico: "Yeah, and you're more of a mumbler-shuffler, you catch my drift?"
- Nico: "We had it all."
- Nico: "You did what?!"
- Nico: "But musician early."
- Nico: *sobbing* "It's a happy moment and I'm very vulnerable right now..."
- Nico: "Dude, you just got dissed."
- Nico: "We could bring these macaws back to Rio and have the best Carnival show ever!"
- Nico: "I am inspired!"
- Nico: "Amazon jungle or bust, baby!"
- Nico: "It's our inspiration for this year's Carnival show."
- Nico: "Amazon... untamed."
- Nico: "I don't like this...!"
- Nico: "I feel naked."
- Nico: "Snakes can swallow you whole!"
- Nico: "Now that's the kind of energy you bring to an audition!"
- Nico: "We'll see you at the performance tommorow night!"
- Nico: "Try to see this place through her eyes!"
- Nico: "Taste the flavors she's tasting!"
Quotes from Rio: Snakes Alive!
- Nico: "Chilax, baby birds!"
- Nico: "Whoa! If this were the festival, they'd mistake you for a bonfire!"
- Nico: "More fun than movin' to a groove?"
- Nico: "Get off your toucan-can and help, Rafael!"
- Nico: "Jeez, these kids are good at hiding!"
- Nico: "Please come out!"
- Main article: Nico/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Carla • Bia • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Big Boss • Felipe • Tiny • Claira|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Let Me Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • "Samba de Orly" • "Funky Monkey" • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love" • "Rio Rio"|