Marcel is the owner of Nigel and the leader of the smugglers. He serves as the secondary antagonist of the film. He planned on selling Blu and Jewel, along with other exotic birds, for a huge fortune. Out of the three smugglers, he is the only one with brains, causing him to frequently denounce Armando and Tipa as "idiots". He is voiced by Carlos Ponce.
Marcel has a black goatee, fairly tanned skin, Jamaican hair (dreadlocks) and wears a Hawaiian-style shirt. He also wears a pair of sunglasses.
On the orders of a client, Marcel hires Fernando to break into Tulio's aviary and steal Blu and Jewel, sending in Nigel first to pose as a sickly bird so he could let Fernando in. After Fernando brings him Blu and Jewel, Marcel only pays him half of what he promised, and callously sends him on his way.
After discovering that Blu and Jewel have escaped, he sends Nigel after them, and formulates a plan to use Carnival as a cover for their moving of the captured birds. When Fernando returns (with Tulio and Linda, unbeknownst to him), Marcel has him help with their plan. Once Nigel captures Blu and Jewel, Marcel takes the birds to a waiting plane. Before taking off, he spots Fernando attempting to free them, but is unable to stop him from running off. As the plane takes off, Linda and Tulio (driving a float) attempt to stop them, but fail. Once in the air, Marcel notices that the birds are escaping. With the door to hanger blocked by a cage, Marcel sends Nigel to stop them. This backfires when Nigel is strapped to a fire extinguisher, blown out of the plane, and into the propeller, causing the craft to crash. Marcel takes the single parachute for himself, but Armando and Tipa jumps after him, grabbing onto his legs as they slowly descend.
During the credits, it is shown that Marcel and the others have been imprisoned.
Marcel is greedy, cruel, and intelligent in nature, unlike the other smugglers. He keeps the birds they capture in appalling conditions, and only pays Fernando half the amount he promised him, showing how cheap he is. He also holds his two henchmen, Armando and Tipa, in contempt over their incompetence and clumsiness. He is even willing to abandon them when their plane started to fall, taking the only parachute for himself, displaying an uncaring nature. The only one he seems to treat with any sort of respect is Nigel, though that may only be because the cockatoo has never failed and questioned him.
- Marcel is voiced by Carlos Ponce.
- Marcel is sometimes thought to be the main antagonist of the film, Rio.
- Marcel is the leader of the smugglers.
- Marcel: "Well, what do you know, good work Fernando."
- Marcel: "You see, boys, what did I tell you about this one?"
- Marcel: "He reminds me of when I was that age, smart, resourceful."
- Marcel: "Ah, shut up, kid."
- Marcel: "I thought I told you I needed these birds alive."
- Marcel: "Tell me, Fernando, does this look alive to you?"
- Marcel: "Hey, Fernando, hang these up in the other room."
- Marcel: "Don't worry, we're gonna find good homes for them."
- Marcel: "Plucked, stuffed, eaten, who cares? All I know is we're going to be rich."
- Marcel: "Yes, you were very clear, tomorrow or the deal is off."
- Marcel: "Of course I have both the macaws."
- Marcel: "Yes I will deliver them myself. Au revoir."
- Marcel: "Alright you two, you load the truck tonight."
- Marcel: "First thing in the morning we bring those birds to the airport, you got it?"
- Marcel: "And one of you, feed Nigel."
- Marcel: "Do you think I am an idiot?"
- Marcel: "They were two birds, chained together, in a cage, how could you lose them?!"
- Marcel: "Oh, great, what are you gonna do? Wander the city calling, 'Here, birdie-birdie, here, birdie'?"
- Marcel: "We have to get the birds to the airport tonight."
- Marcel: "Thats why I wanted to go this morning!"
- Marcel: "This bird is ten times smarter than the two of you combined."
- Marcel: "I am putting him in charge."
- Marcel: "Go find 'em, Nigel."
- Marcel: "If we can't get through the parade, we'll have to be in the parade."
- Marcel: "Come on, come on, where are these guys?"
- Marcel: "Yes, nice... very nice."
- Marcel: "Yes, well done, Nigel."
- Marcel: "What do you think you're doing?"
- Marcel: "You shouldn't have done that, now come on."
- Marcel: "Just forget him, get the birds."
- Marcel: "We did it boys."
- Marcel: "Is that a float?"
- Marcel: "Pull up, you idiot, pull up."
- Marcel: "Hasta la vista, losers!"
- Marcel: *sigh* "Idiots."