|This article is a stub. You can help Rio Wiki by expanding it.|
Macaws are long-tailed, often colourful New World parrots. Of the many different Psittacidae (true parrots) genera, six are classified as macaws: Ara, Anodorhynchus, Cyanopsitta, Primolius, Orthopsittaca, and Diopsittaca. Previously, the members of the genus Primolius were placed in Propyrrhura, but the former is correct in accordance with ICZN rules.
Distribution and Habitat
Macaws are native to Mexico, Central America, South America, and formerly the Caribbean. Most species are associated with forests, especially Rainforests, but others prefer woodland or savannah-like habitats.
Macaws vary from Least Concernd to Crittically Endangered. A few species are even extinct. Because of this, it is illegal to trap these birds for pet trade. Deforestation is also a threat to macaws. For a long time, the Spix's macaw was Crittaclly Endangered, Possibly extinct in the wild until a single Spix's macaw was seen flying in the forest.
Types of Macaws
- Spix's Macaw
- Red-Shouldered Macaw
- Blue-and-gold Macaw
- Red-and-green Macaw
- Scarlet Macaw
- Hyacinth Macaw (not seen in the movie)
- Lear's Macaw (not seen in the movie)
- Blue Throated Macaw (not seen in the movie)
- Noble Macaw (not seen in the movie)
- Illeger's Macaw (not seen in the movie)
- Yellow Collar Macaw (not seen in the movie)
- Severe Macaw (not seen in the movie)