Kipo (also known as the Spoonbill in Rio 2) is a Roseate Spoonbill from the Samba Club. In Rio, he is voiced by Bernardo de Paula, who also voiced Sylvio. In Rio 2, however, he is voiced by Jeffrey Garcia, the voice of Tipa from the first film, and also referred to as "Spoonbill" in the credits in Rio 2.
Kipo is first seen shuffling along to the music when Blu, Jewel, Nico, Pedro, and Rafael enter the samba club. During Nico and Pedro's song, he shakes a pair of maracas. Later, when Mauro taunts Rafael while attempting to get Blu and Jewel to come with him under Nigel's orders, Kipo tells him that if he messes with his friends, he messes with him. During the battle with the marmosets, he steps on several of them, and even hits one riding on one of his bird friends with his beak, knocking him off. Finally, he helps Blu and Jewel escape by giving them a lift onto a trolley headed for Luiz's garage. Blu thanks him, and he replies "Anytime!" before flying away.
Kipo is first seen waiting to make an audition for Nico and Pedro's Carnival show. He boasts to his fellow auditionees about how he's going to be the "next King of Carnival", and steps inside Luiz's garage, but slips on some of Luiz's drool and falls. At the end of the movie, he is seen arriving in the Amazon, bringing Luiz along just in time for the "Amazon Untamed" show.
Kipo is a rosate spoonbill, mainly pink with a brown colored beak. His beak is round at the end. With a white head.
Kipo is portrayed as a very loyal bird, and was the first to stand up against the marmosets, in order to defend his new friends. In Rio 2 he was very determined to be the king of the Carnival shows.
- Shaking Maracas
- His name was revealed on a McDonald's toy poster in Australia, where it shows that he was one of the toys to get in the collection, along with Eva.
- A TV spot for Rio 2 showed Kipo standing on a car hood, and getting hit in the face when it opened suddenly. That scene did not appear in the movie itself, though it did occur in the junior novelization.
- In Rio: The Junior Novel, Kipo is said to be the owner of the Samba Club.
- "You mess with my friends, you mess with me!"
- "Need a lift?"
- "That would be me."
- "Okay, everybody can go home now."
- "You are looking at the next king of carnival."