She loves to fly and cherishes her freedom, and would never look into a cage, let alone fly into one. When she finds herself stuck with a domesticated "pet", she learns that being grounded may not be so bad after all. Eventually, she learns to be more trustful towards humans, as shown when she lets Tulio tend to her wing at the end of the first movie. She is the mate of Blu, mother of Carla, Bia, and Tiago, daughter of Eduardo, friend of Roberto and niece to Aunt Mimi.
When it is believed that Jewel is the last female of her kind in the world, she is taken to Tulio's aviary, to await the arrival of the also speculated last male of the species: Blu. Blu is terrified in Jewel's enclosure, but when he sees Jewel for the first time, he is stunned by how beautiful she is, comparing her to an angel. Jewel attacks Blu when she first sees him before realizing that he looks like her and is the same species. She leads him to find an escape route, but Blu unknowingly attempts to kiss her. Outraged and disgusted, Jewel attacks Blu. Later, while trying to escape, she questions Blu about why he enjoys human company. Then she is captured by a young boy, named Fernando, who takes her and Blu to a band of smugglers.
Jewel and Blu play dead, and Jewel takes the opportunity to try to escape. Just as Jewel sees an escape route, she is stopped by the smugglers's pet a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo called Nigel. The smugglers chain Blu and Jewel together, and they are caged in a room full of trapped birds. Jewel attempts another escape, aided and abetted by Blu (who opens the cage, but whose inability to fly drags her down). Forced to move on foot, they barely manage to escape Nigel, and head into the jungle. Jewel is frustrated by how jumpy and nervous Blu is, but is impressed by his climbing skills as he climbs the Vista Chinesa. Blu questions the need of flying, to which Jewel replies that it is freedom and not having to rely on anyone. The two rest at the Vista Chinesa for the night.
The next morning, Blu and Jewel try to get the chain off with one of Blu's ideas, which went wrong when the rope vine got stuck on Blu's beak. They are attacked by some baby toucans, but they are called off by their father, Rafael, who offers to take Blu and Jewel to see his friend Luiz to remove the chain. Jewel and Rafael try to help Blu fly, but they failed the attempt to help Blu. They crash onto the beach below. Making their way into town, they meet Pedro and Nico, who, having given Blu romantic advice the day before, assume that it worked, to her annoyance. Informed that they have just missed the tram that would take them to Luiz, Jewel and Blu are taken to a birds' Samba Club. Jewel seems unimpressed and embarrassed in the club, but, inspired by the music, Blu starts to dance, which impresses Jewel. Jewel dances a beautiful duet with Blu, before hovering in the air and singing. But just as they're about to kiss, they encounter a band of marmosets, hired by Nigel to find them. A battle ensues, with Jewel and Blu working together to beat some of the marmosets. As the trolley (UK 'tram') arrives, they are given a lift there by Kipo.
On the trolley roof, Jewel and Blu share some awkward, near-romantic moments. When they arrive at Luiz's Garage, Jewel is surprised (and slightly frightened) to learn that Luiz is a Bulldog, and upsets him with some rude remarks. Luiz tries to saw through the chain, but in the ensuing chaos, accidentally lubricates Jewel and Blu's feet with his drool, freeing them from the chain. Jewel is overjoyed to be able to fly again, but spots Blu trying to leave. She asks him to stay, but he tells her that he can't spend the rest of his life walking around after her. Angered, Jewel responds by telling him that it's not her fault he can't fly. Blu retaliates by claiming to hate samba (much to Nico's tearful dismay). Incensed, Jewel says, "See you around, pet!" and leaves. As she tearfully flies away, she is ambushed by Nigel. She fights back, but is quickly overpowered and captured by the cockatoo. Nigel then uses Jewel as bait to lure Blu into his trap on the smugglers' float. The trap works, and Jewel, Blu and their friends are loaded into the smugglers' plane, which then takes flight.
During the flight, Blu escapes, frees Jewel, and together they free the others. The birds fly out of the plane, except for Jewel, who knows Blu is still scared to fly. As she tries to comfort him, he is attacked and pinned by Nigel. Jewel tries to help Blu, but Nigel knocks her into the plane's wall, causing a cage to fall on Jewel's left wing, injuring it. After Blu gets rid of Nigel, the plane begins to go down. Jewel falls out of the plane, unable to fly with her injury, but Blu jumps after her. Jewel calls Blu crazy for coming after her, but after hearing him say that he won't let her go, she kisses him. The kiss awakens the rhythm of Blu's heart, finally enabling him to fly, much to both macaws' joy. Blu flies Jewel to Linda and Tulio, who try to tend to her wing. Jewel, still distrustful towards humans, is wary, but Blu convinces her to let Tulio help. Some time later, a fully healed Jewel is released into the wild, joined by Blu.
A few years after the events of the first film, Blu and Jewel are celebrating New Year's Eve. They are dancing, and Jewel comments on Blu's "moves," and how great it was that Rafael could watch the kids. When they see Rafael dancing with Eva, however, they become nervous. Rafael tells them that he left the kids with Luiz, which worries them more when they see Luiz dancing, and the kids are nowhere to be seen. Jewel and Blu ask where they are, and are horrified when he tells them that he left them with Tiny. Jewel and Blu arrive to find that Carla, Bia, and Tiago are about to start a firework display, Tiny strapped to one of the fireworks. Jewel stops Tiago from lighting the fireworks as Blu takes away the matches. When Carla complains that Blu always says no, Blu asks Jewel if he always says no and she automatically says yes, but when he looks at her she quickly says he doesn't. Carla then says that Jewel is coming close to Blu when it comes to saying no. As Blu's tail catches fire and the fireworks are set alight (with Tiny strapped to them), Jewel looks on with worry. As the fireworks go off, Jewel and the kids fly up to the Christ the Redeemer as Blu falls onto it beside them. They watch the fireworks, with Jewel leaning against Blu and watching them with contentment.
Some time after New Year's Eve, Jewel is very happy when she finds a Brazil nut so close to the city. She flies across Rio to the Blu Bird Sanctuary, greeting Fernando with a squawk when he shouts good morning to her. She lands on her and Blu's birdhouse, calling Blu and the kids, but finds it empty. She is confused, but then she sees Blu and the kids in Linda and Tulio's cottage. Annoyed, she flies down to find Blu making pancakes. She is irritated, and Blu changes the subject by asking what she has. Jewel tells him that it is a Brazil nut, and she wants to show the kids how to open it. Tiago then opens a can of Brazil nuts, which further annoys Jewel. Before she can start arguing with Blu, Carla points out that they are on the news. When Jewel hears about the wild Spix's macaw sighting, she looks shocked. She is intrigued by the fact that they might not be the only ones, and then suggests a trip to the Amazon to help Linda and Tulio find the Spix's macaws. She then starts saying that the kids are acting too much like humans, and that it would be an opportunity for them to connect to their roots and see what she had growing up. Blu is hesitant, but agrees.
Jewel is excited about the journey, but annoyed when she sees that Blu is bringing a fanny-pack. She doubts the GPS, asking if he trusts it. She is disappointed when Carla refuses to go, but when Nico, Pedro and Rafael join the expedition, Carla changes her mind. On the journey, Jewel is constantly annoyed by the GPS, but enjoys the trip. When they reach Manaus, she gives Blu a happy look as it the last city they are going through before they reach the Amazon. On the boat, Jewel relishes the clear air, and then thanks Blu for agreeing on the trip, saying she appreciates it. Along with the others, Jewel is unaware that Nigel (who actually survived his encounter with Blu) is following them, along with his minions Gabi the frog and Charlie the anteater. She sleeps beside Blu as Nigel tries to carry out his plan of revenge, but as the boat horn goes off (accidentally caused by Charlie), Nigel's plan is foiled and he and his minions flee as they wake up. Believing that Tiago did it, Jewel scolds him.
In the Amazon, Jewel is comfortable and happy to be in the wild. As Bia chases Tiago, Jewel goes to get them before they get lost. They then discover the Spix's Macaw Tribe, to everybody's delight. Jewel is ecstatic, marveling over how amazing it is. As Blu is approached by the hostile Eduardo, Jewel rushes to defend her mate. They then recognize each other - Eduardo is Jewel's father, and Jewel's past is revealed; she was separated from her family when loggers came and started a fire. Jewel hugs her father, who says that she looks so much like her mother. Eduardo can't believe it, and feels terrible that she was alone all that time, but Jewel explains that Blu found her. As Carla asks her mother if she is okay, Eduardo asks Jewel if he is a grandfather, and Jewel introduces Carla, Bia, and Tiago.
Eduardo flies with Jewel and her family, announcing her return to the tribe. Jewel is reunited with her aunt, Mimi, and the two hug joyously. Jewel is then reunited with Roberto, her childhood friend, when he sings a "Welcome Back" song upon hearing of her return. The two call each other by their playmate nicknames, ('Ju-Ju' for Jewel and 'Beto' for Roberto) and Blu is uncomfortable, saying to Jewel that she never mentioned Roberto. She says that there is nothing to mention, clearly not noticing Blu's unease. Jewel then recognizes the music starting, and flies away to join in the dance. Roberto places a yellow flower on her head, and the two friends dance together. Jewel tells Blu to join in, but she continues to dance with Roberto, making Blu feel left out. Afterwards, Roberto, out of his generosity, insists that Jewel and her family move into his nest. He leaves for a night patrol, saying goodnight to Jewel. Jewel then sings a lullaby to Carla, Bia, and Tiago, singing them to sleep, but Tiago asks her to sing it again. Jewel gently declines, saying that it was time for bed. As the three chicks sleep, Jewel falls asleep under Blu's wing, saying that the discovery of their family changes everything. Blu asks what's changing, but Jewel is asleep before she can answer.
In the morning, Eduardo takes Blu out for a tour of the area while Jewel and the kids look around the tribe's home. When Blu returns, Jewel asks how it was, but Eduardo tells her that they had a great time before Blu can answer (Eduardo actually (and rather bossly) tried to train Blu to be a member of the tribe). Jewel and Blu later watch the sunset. Blu reminds Jewel of their plan to help Linda and Tulio find the flock, but Jewel thinks that they should not now. As Blu is annoyed by an insect, Jewel suddenly eats it, to his shock. In the morning, Blu decides to get a Brazil nut for Jewel, her favorite, but ends up trespassing on the Red Macaw Tribe's territory in his search for one. When Blu tells Eduardo and Jewel, Jewel is angry at first as Blu doesn't even like nuts, but when he tells her he was getting it for her, Jewel is touched.
At the soccer match, Jewel cheers on the Spix's macaw team with Mimi and the kids. She is surprised and disappointed when Blu accidentally loses the game, and when everybody leaves, she flies to him to ask him what happened. When Blu admits that he wants to go home, Jewel starts to try and reason with him that maybe the Amazon is home, not Rio. The two end up arguing, and Jewel flies away when she tells Blu to figure out what he wants to do and to start thinking about them instead of himself. As she watches Blu leave with his fanny pack and GPS, she is heartbroken, thinking that he might be leaving them. When Roberto later turns up in a fit-like state, telling the tribe about the loggers, Jewel is shocked and afraid that Blu is there on his own. Eduardo begins to evacuate the tribe, but Jewel refuses to leave without Blu. Blu then turns up, and Jewel touches her beak with his as they reunite. Jewel gathers Carla, Bia, and Tiago as Blu tells the tribe that with his knowledge of humans and Eduardo's knowledge of the jungle, they can defeat the loggers. Jewel fights alongside her family during the battle, throwing Brazil nuts at the loggers. When the dynamite explodes with Blu and Nigel right beneath it, Jewel, terrified for Blu, calls out to him, trying to see him. When Blu and Nigel are found by the tribe, Jewel rushes to Blu, but when she sees Nigel, Jewel is clearly surprised. As Nigel charges toward Blu and Jewel, Jewel shields Carla with her wings, but Gabi drags Nigel away.
Afterwards, Jewel celebrates with her family. As they dance, Jewel asks Blu about whether he is positive that he is comfortable living in the Amazon, he assures her that he is "totally wild," but is then scared by a spider, catching Blu in her wings, Jewel suggests that they could spend Summers in Rio, to which Blu agrees, saying "You're my one and only, Jewel."
In the Rio: Snakes Alive! Novel, Jewel is seen living in the Blu Bird Sanctuary with Blu, raising her family a time before the events of the second novel. Like their kids, Jewel is worried about the sanctuary's economic woes. However, she suggests that even if the sanctuary is sold, the macaw family could live in the wild, reminding Blu that they are birds. Blu is not thrilled about the idea, reminding their kids about the dangers of the wild, but this only excites them further. He agrees that they might someday travel there (foreshadowing the events of Rio 2), but would prefer to save the sanctuary first.
When told that they need money, Jewel and her children ask Blu what money is and how to get some. After Blu explains money and decides to go to Luiz, Jewel follows Blu and her family. On their way to the city, the family runs into a snake, which scares Blu. Jewel exasperatedly informs Blu that it is only a forest racer, a frog-eating snake. After Luiz explains the legend of the Pedra de Gavea, Jewel agrees to leave the kids with Nico, Pedro, and Rafael in order to help Blu on his quest. While she does not completely trust Luiz's ideas, she agrees that it's worth a shot if it means saving the sanctuary. Upon arriving at the jungle, Blu is scared and jumpy, while Jewel tries to calm him, reminding him that it is their natural habitat. Nevertheless, Blu is caught off-guard and frightened by a baby bat named Basil, which causes him to scream. Basil, surprised, does so too and drops his stick friend, Jeffrey. Basil's colony then arrives, and begins to chase Blu and Jewel. The two run away, and finally reach the Pedra de Gavea.
At the rock, Jewel is excited alongside Blu when they find the supposed elixir to regrow hair, which they plan to lead Linda and Tulio to so that they may sell it. When Jewel sets off to find an alternate exit where Linda and Tulio can fit through, Blu warns her of the supposed guardian of the cave, which Jewel waves aside, assuring him nothing could have lived there for so many years and still be alive. When the bat colony arrives and begins to destabilize the cave walls, Jewel is saved from a falling rock by Blu, and the two become stuck in a cave-in. After being rescued by her children, Blu and Jewel run into Ssssalbatore, who begins to attack them. As Blu tries to fight off the creature, he warns Jewel to fly away with their children before they become hurt. Like Blu, she thinks they are safe after they escape the cave, but is flees with her family again when Ssssalbatore bursts through the rock. After the anaconda finds their hiding spot, Blu and the bat colony once more attempt to fight off the snake while Jewel leads the children to safety. She then follows Blu as he grabs on to the anaconda and is dragged throughout Rio. She helps to catch him as the snake falls off a cliff and into the ocean.
At the end of the novel, Blu and Jewel lead Linda and Tulio to the elixir, only to find it gone. However, she rejoices along with Blu when Tulio discovers that the bats are an undiscovered species, and proposes to Linda that they earn money by studying and writing books about them. In the closing scenes, Jewel is seen in the macaw family's nest, happy to be reunited with her family and have helped Blu saved the sanctuary.
She has light blue feathers, unlike Blu. Her feathers are silky, smooth and shiny, and her wings and tail are darker than the rest of her. She is a little shorter and is more slender than her mate. Her eyes are big, slightly larger then Blu's, and they are turquoise. She has darker blue eyelids with a lavender tint, similar to that of her aunt Mimi. She has white facial markings extending from around her eyes to the bottom of her beak around the chin area. She has long, batting, dark eyelashes which curl up erect from her eyes. She has a dense cluster of gently-curved feathers on the back of her head and no feathers on her neck, unlike Blu. Jewel has a light grey beak and talons, which are sharp.
Personality and Traits
Jewel is initially fiercely independent, with a love of flying free. She has a funky attitude, and thinks more about escaping and flying than anything else. She is very mistrustful of humans (badly scratching one of Tulio's assistants) and doesn't think much of the "pet" bird Blu. After their duet at the Samba Club however, she warms up to Blu considerably. When he jumps out of the Smugglers' plane after her, she is touched to the point of kissing him passionately. With encouragement from Blu, she seems to overcome her distrust of humans, allowing Tulio to tend to her injury.
Stubborn, feisty and focusing on her own ideas, Jewel's the kind of spunky girl who likes what she likes, thinks what she thinks, and acts far before realizing what she's got herself into. She is a hard to get girl from Blu's point of view. Despite her scowl, she is a beautiful gem, and has a softer and more understanding side, shown when she feels that someone's feelings have been hurt (and not from some rude comment). Overall, Jewel has a split-personality: a hard, selfish side, and a sweet, understanding side which just might be the true Jewel. Notably Jewel was brave to help Blu fighting Ssssalbatore the anaconda. It has been also known that Jewel was brave enough to fight Nigel.
In Rio 2, Jewel has become a more kind and caring bird, openly showing her affection and adoration for Blu. Motherhood has also been shown to have greatly changed Jewel, and it is now more easy for her to show her warm side. She is a kind, supportive and sweet mother for her children, hugging them at various points in the movie, and singing them a sweet lullaby when they were in the Amazon. She is excited to travel to the Amazon, hoping to be able to show her children the wonders of life in the wild. She is annoyed, while simultaneously amused, by Tiago's mischievous habits.
Blu and Jewel
Blu and Jewel's first meeting did not turn out well, it was a disaster. But throughout the ensuing events, Jewel fell for Blu. It wasn't until Blu jumped out of the plane that she realized Blu loved her. The two had three chicks, Bia, Carla, and Tiago, who appear at the end of Rio and once again in Rio 2.
Jewel is not impressed when she first meets Blu. She is angered by his attempt to kiss her (as he is using advice from Nico and Pedro), and becomes condescending when she finds out he is a "pet," with his inability to fly annoying her further. When Rafael tries to teach Blu how to fly by jumping off of the side of the cliff, Jewel plays around with Blu when he is wary of putting his wing around her:
Rafael: "Come on, amigo! It's not like she's gonna bite! Will you?"
Jewel: "We'll see."
It isn't until they dance together at the Samba Club that Jewel starts to warm up to Blu. During the trolley ride to Luiz's Garage, she finds it sweet when he begins to choke right before he was going to tell her his feelings, unaware that he was actually choking. After their dechaining and argument, Jewel cries as she flies off. When Blu puts his fears aside and jumps out of the smugglers' plane after her, she realizes he loves her, since Blu risked his life to save her.
In Rio 2, Jewel is a caring and supportive mate to Blu, though she is sometimes irritated by his habit of making the kids pancakes, and his reliance on human things. Still, her life was transformed by him, and she loves him despite his awkwardness, and is seen dancing and kissing him at the New Years celebration in the movie. During their time in the Amazon, she briefly argues with Blu over his desire to leave, with Jewel telling him to stop thinking about himself, and start thinking about his family. Jewel is disheartened when Blu appears to fly over to Linda's position. However, she refuses to follow Eduardo's orders to evacuate when the loggers come, telling him that Blu is her family. When Blu does come back, they touch beaks, glad to see each other again. Jewel calls out to Blu when the dynamite explodes with Blu beneath it, she then lands next to him, relieved that Blu is alright. When they dance together Jewel asks Blu if he is comfortable living in the Amazon, she is surprised when he says that he is "Mr. Jungle" and "very birdly." After he is scared by a spider and jumps into her wings, she says, "Maybe we can do summers in Rio," and is touched when he says, "You're my one and only, Jewel."
Eduardo is Jewel's protective father and the leader of the remaining clan of Spix Macaws who have been hiding in the Amazon Rainforest. She is tearfully reunited with him when she and her family stumbles on their territory. It was revealed that Jewel was separated from Eduardo, along with the rest of her family at a young age, due to a forest fire caused by loggers. Jewel shows her father great respect, often going along with his ways (even trying to change her and Blu's plan to help Linda and Tulio find the Spix's Macaw tribe, saying that her father "knows what he's doing"). She is also very loving towards him, calling him "daddy" and kissing him on the cheek in the morning. However, when Eduardo orders the tribe to evacuate from the loggers, Jewel refuses to obey him, wanting to go back for Blu.
Roberto is Jewel's childhood friend. Jewel is joyful to see him again, and Roberto greets her back into the tribe with a "Welcome Back" song. The past relationship between the two ignites jealousy in Blu, as he fears Roberto will take Jewel away from him. Despite Blu's fears, Jewel (aside from briefly staring when Roberto flexes his pecs) shows no feelings other then simple friendship towards Roberto. She danced with him during the "Beautiful Creatures" song, but this was probably because she was so happy to be home and wanted to reconnect with everyone she had lost.
Jewel's aunt, Mimi and Jewel are very close. Mimi obviously loves her niece, showing obvious excitement and joy at their reunion and affectionately calling Jewel her "little wild flower." Mimi is the only one who accepts Blu, and she welcomes both Jewel and her mate into the Spix's macaw tribe. When Eduardo shows disapproval of his son-in-law, Mimi is the one to remind Eduardo that Jewel is all grown up and that he must honor her choice of mate.
Jewel is not amused with Pedro and Nico, but after knowing them with Blu she quickly befriends them; however, she ignores them most of the time. After being freed from the chain, she has them join her in flying above Luiz's garage, suggesting that she considers them as friends. She is also fine with them accompanying her and her family to the Amazon, showing that she respects and appreciates them.
In the Rio: Snakes Alive! novel, it is shown that Jewel's trust in them has increased, as she now allows them, along with Rafael, to babysit their kids.
Jewel respects Rafael's wisdom and intelligence, trusting him to lead her and Blu to Luiz. She finds his mate and children a little extreme, but she respects and trusts him.
In Rio 2, she shows that she trusts him to babysit her kids. It is also shown that they are now good friends, Rafael greeting Jewel and Blu at New Year's Eve and accompanying Jewel and her family to the Amazon.
In the beginning of the story, Jewel is greatly distrustful and hostile towards humans, badly scratching one of Tulio's lab assistants. However, Blu is able to convince her to let Tulio tend to her broken wing. When her wing is healed, Jewel lets Tulio carry her up to the Blu Bird Sanctuary's tower, suggesting that she now trusts him.
Jewel has next to no interaction with Linda during the first movie, but judges her for being a human, believing that if Linda was to find them in the smugglers' hideout, she would "stick us [Jewel and Blu] behind another set of bars". In the sequel, there is a picture in Linda and Tulio's kitchen showing her perched on Linda's arm, shown that Jewel has grown used to her and has possibly grown to like her.
Jewel and Nigel are mortal enemies, and seem to despise each other. Jewel is not afraid of Nigel, despite his cruel nature. On several occasions, Jewel attempted to attack Nigel, but every time she tried she was overpowered by him. Their first encounter went terribly, as Nigel grabbed her neck to prevent her from escaping the smuggler's hideout. She showed disgust and anger during his "Pretty Bird" song, scowling at him throughout the entire song.
In Rio 2, Jewel was shocked to see that he was alive and had been bent on revenge against Blu and his family, and briefly frightened when he tried to attack her and her family.
Initially scared when she notices he's a bulldog, Jewel's mood quickly turns to revulsion over his incessant drooling. They are friends, however, despite Jewel's opinion of his drooling. In Rio 2, she expresses concern when Rafael tells her and Blu that he left their kids in Luiz's care, showing that she doesn't completely trust him.
Jewel has three children with Blu: Bia, Carla, and Tiago. She is a caring, loving, and supportive mother to all of them. She seems to have the closest relationship with Carla, but she loves all three of them dearly. Jewel even kisses them good night and sings them a lullaby in the Amazon to help them sleep. It's shown that she wants the best for them, as she tries to persuade Blu that they should stay in the Amazon because the kids love being in the wild. She also brings them a Brazil nut so that she can show them how to open one, showing that she wants them to be prepared for their futures.
- In the samba club she was carried away by the song "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)," and she sang along with it. Also, she was singing once she was finally free, and finally, in the sanctuary in the jungle, during the first part of the closing credits, she sings along with Blu and their chicks.
- In the Amazon, she sings "Don't Go Away" to her children as a lullaby to help them sleep.
- Also in the samba club, when she saw Blu dancing, she danced along with him, warming up the relationship of the two. Also, she dances with her family in he Amazon.
- She used physical force against Nigel twice in the first movie. Although she was overpowered both times, she is still a bird that doesn't give up a fight. She also used the chain on her and Blu's leg as a weapon to the marmosets in the bird fight.
- She was seen gripping Blu's throat.
- She also used her talons in her attempts to fight Nigel.
- Speaking in Portuguese (the language they speak in Brazil, where she spent all of her life. ("Quem é você? Quê está fazendo aqui?" means "Who are you? What are you doing here?")
- Playing Dead
- Opening Brazil Nuts
- She is the deuteragonist of the film, though Anne Hathaway is listed first in the opening and end credits due to her having top billing in the movie.
- On most posters of the first movie, Jewel is seen with a pink trumpet tree flower on her head. This is only for promotional purposes however.
- It's unknown how Jewel was kept in the aviary when she first met Blu and when she was healing after her wing was broken.
- When Blu and Jewel first met, she was speaking Portuguese. She switchs to English however when she realizes Blu only speaks that launguage.
- The fate of Jewel's parents wasn't revealed in the first movie, but her father appears in the sequel.
- In Rio 2, Jewel discovers that her long-lost father and his clan have been hiding in the Amazon rain forest, where their habitat is under threat.
- In Rio 2, she is reunited with her childhood friend, Roberto, who stirs up Blu's jealousy. She is also reunited with her aunt, Eduardo's older sister Mimi.
- Jewel's name in Spanish and French is Perla, Jade in Brazilian Portuguese and Jóia in European Portuguese; and also Жемчужинка (Zhemchuzhinka) in the Russian version. In Korean, her name is reffered as 쥬엘.
- Jewel sings one song in Rio 2, "Don't Go Away."
- According to Eduardo, Jewel looks a lot like her mother.
- According to Rio 2: The Junior Novel, Jewel's mother is dead; in the novel, Jewel looks hopefully at Eduardo when he mentions her mother, but the look he gives her says that she is gone.
- In Rio 2, it is revealed that Jewel was separated from her family when loggers came and caused a fire, where the flames and smoke caused Jewel and her family to be separated. Eduardo later went back for Jewel, but couldn't find her.
- In Rio 2, it's revealed that Brazil nuts are her favorite food.
- In the Junior novel version of Rio 2, Jewel is the one who unties Linda and Tulio from the tree rather than Blu in the movie.
- "You would rather be with a... a-a-a human, than with your own kind!"
- "Quem é você? Quê que você está fazendo aqui?" ("Who are you? What are you doing here?")
- "Quê?" ("What?")
- "Oh, you're an American."
- "You look like me."
- "Yeah, well, because of them, I've lost everything."
- "You can't trust them!"
- "Blu, you are crazy, what are you doing?!"
- "Flying is... it's freedom and not having to rely on anyone. Don't you want that?"
- "Did you actually think we were gonna kiss?!"
- "We just met!"
- "Will you quit it?!"
- "It's just a leaf, turn around."
- "Leaf, told ya."
- "Are you ready?"
- "Just come on."
- "We need to find a safe place to spend the night."
- "Look, I hate to break it to you, but this is where our kind naturally lives."
- "That is why we stay in the trees and not on the ground."
- "After you."
- "See what you've been missing?"
- "Birds, birds need flying."
- "Oh, be careful, Blu."
- "They might snuggle you to death."
- "Ah, Precious aren't they?"
- "Do you know how to get this... thing... off?"
- "Easy breezy!"
- "Let him go!"
- "Just do it!"
- "Right, come on, we don't have much time."
- "What? You can't what?"
- "I wouldn't expect a pet to understand."
- "Oh, I'm sorry, sleepyhead, I'm trying to escape."
- "You'll never find him. He's already gone."
- "Oh yeah, I was just on my way to CLAW YOUR EYES OUT!"
- "You're sure you're up for this?"
- "Oh this is great."
- "I'm chained to the only bird in the world who can't fly!"
- "What are you doing?!"
- "I am trying to escape."
- "You couldn't tell me this before now?!"
- "I hate you."
- "Is there anything else I need to know?!"
- "I can't believe I have to drag your clumsy butt up there."
- "Ha ha, very funny."
- "Let's get some sleep."
- "It's gonna be so much fun!"
- "Look pet, cages might work for you, but I don't want to belong to anyone."
- "If you wanna see Linda again, this is the only way."
- "Hey, it's not my fault you can't fly."
- "Fine! See you 'round, pet!"
- "Are you sure this is gonna work?"
- "Yes, that's... comforting, thank you."
- "No, you can go find Linda."
- "Once this chain is off, I'm gonna go back to being free in the jungle, deal?"
- "Guess things like this don't happen in Tiny-Soda."
- "Wait, Luiz is a bulldog?"
- "I do when they're drooling on me."
- "No, Blu, you can't be here."
- "You have to go!"
- "Nice try, brainiac."
- "I guess love is deaf, too."
- "A stick."
- "It's just a rock."
- "Shh. Play dead."
- "Stop twitching."
- "No one is coming."
- "We're on our own and if we just sit here, we're going to die!"
- "No, I am definitely not okay!"
- "Are you kidding me?"
- "Let go of me!"
- "No, that's not what I meant."
- "Oh, what was I thinking?"
- "Well, why didn't you follow me?"
- "Are you going to help me or what?"
- "Let's just get this chain broken."
- "Blu, what's wrong?"
- "I guess I thought maybe..."
- "Come on, let's fly."
- "I'm not panicking."
- "Oh great!, and then she'll stick us behind another set of bars, right?"
- "I'm gonna chew through my own leg if this thing doesn't come off soon."
- "We gotta get outta here."
- "Move, run, just move."
- "For a bird who can't fly, oh yeah."
- "Hey, where you going?"
- "What are you doing?!"
- "No, DUCK!"
- "We have to help Linda and Tulio find them!"
- "Goodbye, stinky city air!"
- "You're my one and only, Blu."
- "I can't believe we found them!"
- "There are more of us out there!"
- "What a glorious morning!"
- "Come on, Blu!"
- "All right, we ready to go?"
- "Carla, we're leaving!"
- "Eva let you come?"
- "I remember this song!"
- "A fanny pack?"
- "It won't kill you to leave behind the fanny pack?"
- "Hey, everyone look what I found."
- "Look at us! Ipods, tv, pancakes?"
- "We're not people, we're birds."
- "I can't believe it..."
- "Are you okay?"
- "You trust this woman?"
- "We gotta do something."
- "We've found our family, Blu."
- "This changes everything."
- "You don't even like nuts."
- "What's gotten into you, Blu?"
- "You were?"
- "You know what, you need to figure out what you want. And maybe stop thinking about just yourself and start thinking about us!"
- "What! By himself?!"
- "Dad, no, not this time, I'm not going with you!"
- "Blu is my family and I'm not leaving him behind!"
- "Daddy, this is Carla, Bia, and Tiago."
- "The kids are thriving, they love being in the wild."
- "Maybe this place is home."
- "Time for bed now."
- "We have to go out into the wild and be birds, Blu!"
- "Let the kids connect to their roots, show them what I had!"
- "They need this, we need this."
- "Come on Blu, what do you say?"
- "Hey, thank you for doing this, I really appreciate it."
- "Of course I do."
- "Hey, whoa! What's going on?"
- " Whoa, whoa, whoa, Where you going, little bird?"
- "Yes. I mean, no."
- "Can't you just forget about Linda and Tulio for one minute and enjoy a sunset?"
- "I'll get them - Bia, Tiago!"
- "When the loggers came..."
- "There was... fire...and so much smoke..."
- "It's okay, Dad. I wasn't alone. Blu found me."
- "We did, I called him Beto."
- "Maybe they should just be left alone."
- "Hey sweetie there you are, what's taking you so long?"
- "We should talk about this."
- "Hey, what happened back there?"
- "You remembered, isn't that nice?"
- "What are you talking about?"
- "You sleep in everyday."
- "It's so crazy good, thank you so much Blu."
- "Enough with that GPS, really."
- "The whole tribe is gathering to watch the sunset."
- "Blu he's right, maybe you should let daddy and Roberto handle it."
- "No, I do, of course I d."
- "I just don't know if it's your exact area of expertise..."
- "Come on, Blu..."
- "You go have fun with daddy while I look around with the kids."
- "Bye, honey! Have fun!"
- "Hey, Tiago!",
- "Hey, you're back, Oh...how did it go?"
- "All this time... I thought we were alone."
- "Of course not! But just imagine if there were a whole flock of us...?"
- "It's about time this family got a little air under their wings!"
- "It's a Brazil nut!"
- "I thought I'd never find one this close to the city."
- "I want to show the kids how to open one."
- "I never let myself... hope that they were alive, but... but they are!"
- "Blu, my dad knows what he's doing."
- "I'm so exhausted!"
- "Morning, daddy."
- "Morning, sweetie."
- "We have to fly to the Amazon."
- "How amazing would that be?"
- "Maybe they should just be left alone."
- "What an amazing day."
- "I missed you."
- "Aunt Mimi? Aunt Mimi!"
- "Just go with it."
- "Blu? Kids? Where did everybody...?"
- "You know what?"
- "Blu, look around."
- "He is just happy everyone's here."
- "I almost forgot I could have mornings like this."
- "You sure you can make the Amazon our home?"
- "Maybe we can do Summers in Rio."
- "Waffles, Tiago. Your dad really loves that human food."
- "It would be hard to leave, but even if worse comes to worst, we'll figure something out. We're birds!"
- "We could live in the wild!"
- "I was wondering that myself, Blu."
- "It sounds great!"
- "Right! They have enough to worry about. We'll be back before they can notice we're gone."
- "It's just a forest racer Blu!"
- "They only eat frogs."
- "We're perfectly safe."
- "When you weren't at the garage, we thought you might be here, watching them set up the festival."
- "I know, I know. But we'll just have to go to this Pedra de Gavea and see!"
- "Even if it takes longer?"
- "Even if the idea of this elixir is, oh, I don't know... completely crazy?"
- "It's okay. I understand. Of course we have to try."
- "I knew this would be a big adventure. I just didn't know how big!"
- "Quit worrying! We're birds!"
- "This is our natural habitat!"
- "For what? A shadow?"
- "Calm down! It's just a baby bat!"
- "Blu, look!"
- "We're here."
- "Now what?"
- "Luiz said people have tried to get in, but couldn't find any entrance!"
- "It looks bigger on the inside!"
- "Do you realize what this means? The story Luiz told... It's real!"
- "Let's hope it works!"
- "That's okay-- they just have to sell it to one bald guy, remember? Should be enough for him."
- "We'll have to find another way in!"
- "Don't you see how old this place is? Nothing could live in here that long!"
- "Forest Racers don't get that big. It is just a picture."
- "Not birds..."
- "Blu, they're all over the place. There are so many, they're knocking down pieces of the wall!"
- "Careful! You'll cause a cave-in!"
- "No Blu, it's them!"
- "...AND RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"
- "What are you going to do?"
- "Are you alright?"
- "Why don't we just fly away?"
- "Bia, Carla, Tiago, Blu-- I love you!"
- "I'm coming, Blu!"
- "Hang on, Blu!"
- "Blu, just fly off!"
- "Whatever you do, don't turn left!"
- "I said NOT to turn left!"
- "I couldn't be happier."
- "It's been so long."
- "Aunt Mimi, you haven't changed a bit."
- "Good morning sweetie."
- "Tiago I'll race ya."
- "Last one to the waterfall is a rotten egg."
- "Remember how I was when I met you?"
- "Easy there partner. I was wild, these are wild birds."
- "We have to be culturally sensitive while we're here."
- "I don't know, Blu."
- "Have fun honey."
- "It's so crazy good. Thank you so much Roberto."
- "Stop it Beto."
- "Hey it'll be alright."
- "I know it hasn't been easy for you to adjust here."
- "Maybe you just need to give it more time."
- "Daddy and Roberto can help you-"
- "Whoa, whoa, whoa. My family is your family."
- "Oh I see what this is about."
- "Maybe you need to open your eyes and think about us instead of just yourself."
- "Blu is our family now, too!"
- "I can't lose Blu. I love you dad."
- "No baby, you can't. It's too dangerous.
- "But I want you to stick together with Pop-pop!"
- "Daddy and I will find you, okay?"
- "It's Nigel!"
- "So it's settled? We'll make the jungle our home."
- "Thank you Blu. This means so much to me."
- "You're still my one and only."
- "Especially because you're not!"
- "I am so ready to get this party started."
- "Any friend of Blu is a friend of mine!"
- "Watch it with all that poking."
- "Is that... a spider? Oh. Don't let Blu see that!"
- "Oh! Is it time to dance already?"
- "You should poke Blu. He's the mastermind behind this."
- "You seem to have quite a grip on things."
- "Don't worry. I'll make sure everything goes smoothly."
- "A friendly hug is just what I need!"
- "Hi there! You ready to go on an adventure?"
- "Hey! Careful with the cold fingers, pal."
- Main article: Jewel/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Carla • Bia • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Big Boss • Felipe • Tiny • Claira|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Let Me Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • "Samba de Orly" • "Funky Monkey" • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love" • "Rio Rio" • "Batucada Familia"|