Jewel is the deuteragonist of Rio and Rio 2. "The Gem of the forest" may be her pseudonym, but don't let those long shiny eyelashes and silky light blue feathers fool you. She's one sassy chick with an attitude and has the opposite personality in most ways of her mate, Blu. She loves to fly and cherishes her freedom, and would never look into a cage, let alone fly into one. When she finds herself stuck with a domesticated "pet," she learns that being grounded may not be so bad after all. Eventually, she learns to be more trusting, as shown when she lets Tulio tend to her wing.
When it is believed that Jewel is the last female of her kind, she is taken to Tulio Monteiro's aviary, to await the arrival of the speculated last male of the species, Blu. Jewel attacks Blu when she first sees him, before realizing that he looks like her and is the same species. She leads him to find an escape route, but he unknowingly attempts to kiss her. Outraged and disgusted, Jewel attacks Blu. Later, while trying to escape, she is captured by a young boy, named Fernando, who takes her and Blu to a band of smugglers, who chain the two together. Jewel attempts another escape, aided and abetted by Blu (who opens the cage, but whose inability to fly drags her down). Forced to move on foot, they barely manage to escape the smugglers' pet Cockatoo, Nigel, and head into the jungle - sheltering at Vista Chinesa throughout the night.
The next morning, Blu and Jewel try to get the chain off with one of Blu's ideas, which went wrong when the rope vine got stuck on Blu's beak. They then meet Rafael, who offers to take them to see his friend Luiz to remove the chain. Jewel and Rafael try to help Blu fly, but they failed the attempt to help Blu. They crash onto the beach below. Making their way into town, they meet Pedro and Nico, who, having given Blu romantic advice the day before, assume that it worked, to her annoyance. Informed that they have just missed the tram that would take them to Luiz, Jewel and Blu are taken to a birds' Samba Club. Inspired by the music, Blu starts to dance, which impresses Jewel. Jewel dances a beautiful duet with Blu, and just as it seems as if they will kiss, they are accosted by a band of marmosets, hired by Nigel to find them. A battle ensues, with Jewel and Blu working together to beat some of the marmosets. As the trolley arrives, they are given a lift there by Kipo.
On the trolley roof, Jewel and Blu share some awkward, near-romantic moments. When they arrive at Luiz's Garage, Jewel is surprised to learn that Luiz is a Bulldog. Luiz tries to saw through the chain, but in the ensuing chaos, accidentally lubricates Jewel and Blu's feet with his drool, freeing them. Jewel is overjoyed to be able to fly again, but spots Blu trying to leave. She asks him to stay, but he tells her that he can't spend the rest of his life walking around after her. Angered, Jewel responds by telling him that it's not her fault he can't fly. Blu retaliates by claiming to hate samba (much to Nico's tearful dismay). Incensed, Jewel says, "See you 'round, pet!" and leaves. As she tearfully flies away, she is captured by Nigel and used as bait to lure Blu to the smugglers. The trap works, and Jewel, Blu and their friends are loaded into the smugglers' plane, which takes off.
During the flight, Blu escapes, frees Jewel, and together they free the others. The birds fly out of the plane, except for Jewel, who knows Blu is still scared to fly. As she tries to comfort him, he is pinned down by Nigel. Jewel tries to help, but is knocked into the plane's wall, causing a cage to fall on her wing, injuring it. After Blu gets rid of Nigel, Jewel falls out of the plane, and Blu jumps after her. Jewel calls Blu crazy for coming after her, but after hearing him say that he won't let her go, she kisses him. The kiss awakens the rhythm of Blu's heart, finally enabling him to fly, much to both macaws' joy. Blu flies Jewel to Linda and Tulio, who attempt to tend to her wing. Jewel, still distrustful of humans, is wary, but Blu convinces her to let Tulio help. Some time later, a fully healed Jewel is released into the wild, joined by Blu. In the last scene of the movie, Blu, Jewel, and their three chicks, Bia, Carla, and Tiago, fly and sing in their new home.
Though she's content with Blu and the kids in Rio, Jewel is overjoyed to venture into the wild so that the whole family can finally shed their human conveniences and act like real wild birds. The trip turns out to be more than she could have ever hoped for when she's reunited with her long lost father. But it becomes clear to her that Blu is having trouble adapting to the wild, leaving Jewel torn between her desire to stay with her father in the Amazon and Blu's wish to go back to Rio.
She has light blue feathers, unlike Blu. Her wings and tail are darker then the rest of her, and she is shorter and smaller than her mate. Her eyes are turquoise, and she has darker blue eyelids. She has white facial markings extending from her forehead to the bottom of her beak around the chin area. She has long, batting, dark eyelashes which curl up erect from her eyes. She has a dense cluster of gently-curved feathers on the back of her head and no feathers on her neck, unlike Blu.
Personality and Traits
Jewel is initially fiercely independent, with a love of flying free. She has a funky attitude, and thinks more about escaping and flying than anything else. She is very mistrustful of humans (badly scratching one of Tulio's assistants) and doesn't think much of the "pet" bird Blu. After their duet at the samba club however, she warms up to Blu considerably. When he jumps out of the Smugglers' plane after her, she is touched to the point of kissing him passionately. With encouragement from Blu, she seems to overcome her distrust of humans, allowing Tulio to tend to her injury.
Stubborn, feisty and focusing on her own ideas, Jewel's the kind of spunky girl who likes what she likes, thinks what she thinks, and acts far before realizing what she's got herself into. She is a hard to get gal from Blu's point of view. Despite her scowl, she is a beautiful exotic gem, and has a softer and more understanding side, shown when she feels that someone's feelings have been hurt (and not from some rude comment). Overall, Jewel has a split-personality: a hard, selfish side, and a sweet, understanding side which just might be the true Jewel.
Blu and Jewel
"The Gem of the Forest" may be what they call her, but don't let her charm and dazzling looks fool you. Jewel is aggressive, not easily impressed, and has a funky attitude. So how does a girl like her fall for a shy and socially awkward "pet"? Blu and Jewel's first meeting did not turn out well, it was a disaster. But throughout the ensuing events, Jewel fell for Blu. It wasn't until Blu jumped out of the plane that she realized Blu loved her. The two had three babies, Bia, Carla, and Tiago, who appear at the end of Rio and once again in Rio 2.
Jewel is not impressed when she first meets Blu. She is angered by his attempt to kiss her (as he is using advice from Nico and Pedro), and becomes condescending when she finds out he is a "pet," with his inability to fly annoying her further. When Rafael tries to teach Blu how to fly by jumping off of the side of the cliff, Jewel uses emotion to play around with as the sentence goes:
Rafael: "Come on, amigo! It's not like she's gonna bite! Will you?"
Jewel: "We'll see."
It isn't until they dance together at the Samba Club that Jewel starts to warm up to Blu. After their dechaining and argument, Jewel cries as she flies off. When Blu jumps out of the smugglers' plane after her, she realizes he loves her, since Blu risked his life to save her.
Eduardo is Jewel's protective father and the leader of the remaining clan of Spix macaws who have been hiding in the Amazon Rainforest. She is tearfully reunited with him when she and her family stumbles on their territory. It was revealed that Jewel was separated from Eduardo, along with the rest of her family at a young age, due to a tragic event.
Roberto is Jewel's ex-boyfriend and childhood friend. Jewel is joyful to see him again, and Roberto greets her back into the tribe a "welcome back" song. The past relationship between the two ignites jealousy in Blu, as he fears Roberto will take Jewel away from him.
Jewel's aunt, Mimi and Jewel are very close. Mimi obviously loves her niece, showing obvious excitement and joy at their reunion and affectionately calling Jewel her "little wild flower." Mimi is the only one who accepts Blu, and she welcomes both Jewel and her mate into the Spix's macaw tribe. When Eduardo shows disapproval of his daughter's mate, Mimi is the one to remind Eduardo that Jewel is all grown up and that he must honor her choice of mate.
Jewel is not amused with Pedro and Nico, but after knowing them with Blu she quickly befriends them; however, she ignores them most of the time. After being freed from the chain, she has them join her in flying above Luiz's garage.
Jewel respects Rafael's wisdom and intelligence, trusting him to lead her and Blu to Luiz.
In the beginning of the story, Jewel is greatly distrustful and hostile towards humans, badly scratching one of Tulio's interns. However, Blu is able to convince her to let Tulio tend to her broken wing. When her wing is healed, Jewel lets Tulio carry her up to the Blu Bird Sanctuary's tower, suggesting that she now trusts him.
Jewel is not afraid of Nigel, despite his cruelty. On more than one occasion, she attempted to attack him, only for him to overpower her.
Initially scared when she notices he's a bulldog, Jewel's mood quickly turns to revulsion over his incessant drooling.
Jewel has three children with Blu: Bia, Carla, and Tiago. She is a caring, loving, and supportive mother to all of them. She seems to have the closest relationship with Carla, but she loves all three of them dearly.
- Singing (shown in the samba club)
- In the samba club she was carried away by the song "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)," and she sang along with it. Also, she was singing once she was finally free, and finally, in the sanctuary in the jungle, during the first part of the closing credits, she sings along with Blu and their chicks.
- Dancing (also shown in the samba club)
- Also in the samba club, when she saw Blu dancing, she danced along with him, warming up the relationship of the two.
- She used physical contact against Nigel twice in the movie. Although she was overpowered both times, she still is a bird that doesn't give up a fight.
- She was seen gripping Blu's throat.
- Speaking in Portuguese (the language they speak in Brazil, where she spent all of her life. ("Quem é você? Quê está fazendo aqui?" means "Who are you? What are you doing here?")
- Playing dead.
- She is the deuteragonist of the film, though Anne Hathaway is listed first in the opening and end credits due to her having top billing in the movie.
- On most posters of the movie, Jewel is seen with a pink trumpet tree flower on her head. This is only for promotional purposes for Jewel. In the movie however, she is not seen wearing the flower.
- It's unknown how Jewel was kept in the aviary when she first met Blu and when she was healing after her wing was broken.
- When Blu and Jewel first met, she was speaking Portuguese.
- The fate of Jewel's parents wasn't revealed in the first movie, but her father will appear in the sequel.
- In Rio 2, Jewel discovers that her long-lost father and his clan have been hiding in the Amazon rain forest, where their habitat is under threat.
- In Rio 2, she is reunited with her ex-boyfriend, Roberto, who stirs up Blu's jealousy.
- In Rio 2 she is also reunited with her aunt, Eduardo's sister Mimi.
- It's unknown if Jewel's mother is still alive.
- Jewel's alternative name in Spanish is Perla and Jade in Portuguese.
- Jewel will sing one song in Rio 2: "Don't Go Away."
- Jewel: "Incredible! You would rather be with a... a human, than with your own kind!"
- Jewel: "Quem é você? Quê está fazendo aqui?" ("Who are you? What are you doing here?")
- Jewel: "Qué?" ("What?")
- Jewel: "Oh, you're an American."
- Jewel: "Yeah, well, because of them, I've lost everything. You can't trust them!"
- Jewel: "Blu, you are crazy, what are you doing?!"
- Jewel: "Flying is... it's freedom and not having to rely on anyone. Don't you want that?"
- Jewel: "Did you actually think we were gonna kiss?! We just met!"
- Jewel: "Will you quit it."
- Jewel: "It's just a leaf, turn around."
- Jewel: "Leaf, told ya."
- Jewel: "Are you ready?."
- Jewel: "Just come on."
- Jewel: "We need to find a safe place to spend the night."
- Jewel: "Look, I hate to break it to you, but this is where our kind naturally lives."
- Jewel: "That is why we stay in the trees and not on the ground."
- Jewel: "See what you've been missing?"
- Jewel: "Birds, birds need flying."
- Jewel: "Oh, be careful, Blu. They might snuggle you to death."
- Jewel: "Precious aren't they?"
- Jewel: "Do you know how to get this, thing off?"
- Jewel: "Easy breezy!"
- Jewel: "Let him go!"
- Jewel: "After you."
- Jewel: "Just do it!"
- Jewel: "You look like me."
- Jewel: "Right, come on, we don't have much time."
- Jewel: "What? You can't what?."
- Jewel: "I wouldn't expect a pet to understand."
- Jewel: "Oh, I'm sorry, sleepyhead, I'm trying to escape."
- Jewel: "You'll never find him. He's already gone."
- Jewel: "Oh yeah, I was just on my way to CLAW YOUR EYES OUT!"
- Jewel: "You're sure you're up for this?"
- Jewel: "Oh this is great."
- Jewel: "I'm chained to the only bird in the world who can't fly!"
- Jewel: "What are you doing?!"
- Jewel: "I am trying to escape."
- Jewel: "You couldn't tell me this before now?!"
- Jewel: "I hate you."
- Jewel: "Is there anything else I need to know?!"
- Jewel: "I can't believe I have to drag your clumsy butt up there."
- Jewel: "Ha ha, very funny."
- Jewel: "Let's get some sleep."
- Jewel: "We're not people, we're birds."
- Jewel: "We have to get out into the wild and be birds, Blu."
- Jewel: "Let the kids connect to their roots."
- Jewel: "It's gonna be so much fun!"
- Jewel: "Look, pet cages might work for you but I don't want to belong to anyone"
- Jewel: "Hey, back off!"
- Jewel: "We're not the only ones. How amazing!"
- Jewel: "If you wanna see Linda again, this is the only way."
- Jewel: "Hey, it's not my fault you can't fly."
- Jewel: "Fine! See you 'round, pet!"
- Jewel: "Are you sure this is gonna work?"
- Jewel: "Yes, that's... comforting, thank you."
- Jewel: "No, you can go find Linda."
- Jewel: "Once this chain is off, I'm gonna go back to being free in the jungle, deal?"
- Jewel: "Guess things like this don't happen in Tiny-Soda."
- Jewel: "Wait, Luiz is a bulldog?"
- Jewel: "I do when they're drooling on me."
- Jewel: "No, Blu, you can't be here."
- Jewel: "You have to go!"
- Jewel: "Nice try, brainiac."
- Jewel: "I guess love is deaf, too."
- Jewel: "A stick."
- Jewel: "It's just a rock."
- Jewel: "Shh, Play dead."
- Jewel: "Stop twitching."
- Jewel: "No one is coming."
- Jewel: "We're on our own and if we just sit here, we're going to die."
- Jewel: "No, I am definitely not okay!"
- Jewel: "Are you kidding me?"
- Jewel: "Let go of me!"
- Jewel: "No, that's not what I meant."
- Jewel: "Oh, what was I thinking?"
- Jewel: "Well, why didn't you follow me?"
- Jewel: "Are you going to help me or what?"
- Jewel: "Let's just get this chain broken."
- Jewel: "Blu, what's wrong?"
- Jewel: "I guess I thought maybe..."
- Jewel: "Come on, let's fly."
- Jewel: "I'm not panicking."
- Jewel: "Oh great!, and then she'll stick us behind another set of bars, right?"
- Jewel: "Look, pet, cages might work for you, but I don't want to belong to anyone."
- Jewel: "We gotta get outta here."
- Jewel: "Move, run, just move."
- Jewel: "For a bird who can't fly, oh yeah."
- Jewel: "Hey, where you going?"
- Jewel: "What are you doing?!"
- Jewel: "No, DUCK!"
- Jewel: "Janelle Monáe, we love her."
- Jewel: "We have to help Linda and Tulio find them!"
- Jewel: "Goodbye, stinky city air!"
- Jewel: "You're my one and only, Blu."
- Jewel: "I can't believe we found them!"
- Jewel: "Roberto?!"
- Jewel: "Unbelievable."
- Jewel: "There's more of us out there."
- Jewel: "What a glorious morning!"
- Jewel: "Come on, Blu!"
- Jewel: "Alright, we ready to go?"
- Jewel: "Carla, we're leaving!"
- Jewel: "Wait, Eva let you come?"
- Main article: Jewel/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Bia • Carla • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • Samba de Orly • "What Is Love"|