Kristin Chenoweth insists her poisonous character is not bad, just a little "misunderstood" and emotionally vulnerable. However, Gabi may be emotional, but she is almost as villainous as Nigel.
Gabi is a tiny, pink, cute, but poisonous, dart frog who has been stuck in a jar in the marketplace, watching Nigel from afar with adoring eyes. She realizes it is a bit of a stretch for a frog to have feelings for a bird, especially since touching him would kill him, but she is thrilled to be joining Nigel on his quest for revenge. She may be small, but her villainous heart is large.
Nigel's sidekick and "evil henchfrog" is a cute, but poisonous, and villainous frog, named Gabi. Gabi is deeply in love with Nigel and is incredibly loyal to him. Gabi, though small in stature, possesses a huge villainous heart.
Venomous adoration doesn’t prevent Gabi from trying to bond with her wannabe soul mate. Gabi wants to make Nigel proud of her. That is why she’s always by his side and hoping he notices her in the way she wants to be noticed, which of course he doesn’t. Gabi will do whatever it takes to keep Nigel safe and happy and where he belongs, which is on the stage. Gabi is also willing to do anything to help Nigel get his revenge on Blu and Jewel.
To begin with, Gabi is trapped in a glass jar in the Manaus market place. She is next to Nigel, often hearing him wax poetic. When Nigel is called upon to do his fortune-telling act, Gabi watches, telling him he's "doing great." When Nigel spots Blu and his family, he snaps and attacks his handler (Gabi calls him "muy macho" for that), ultimately causing the jar Gabi is in to fall, shattering it and freeing her. Along with Charlie, Gabi gladly joins Nigel in his quest for vengeance.
Once they are on board the same boat as Blu's family, they wait for the midnight hour to attack. While Nigel and Charlie are still sleeping, Gabi sings a song about how much she loves Nigel, but also how her venomous skin would kill him if they touch. When the time comes to attack, Gabi creeps up on a sleeping Blu, and gathers up some of her mucus, intending to poison him. Nigel stops her, wanting Blu for himself. However, Charlie accidentally sets off the ship's horn, waking everyone up and forcing the villainous trio off the ship.
The next day, they find the blue macaw tribe. The day after that, Nigel's attempt to attack who he thought was Blu turns into an audition, wherein Gabi duets with him. Soon after, Nigel reveals his plan: To use the upcoming show as an opportunity to kill Blu with a poisonous dart, using a porcupine quill as a dart, Gabi's venom for poison and Charlie's long snout to fire the dart.
As they prepare however, Nigel gets a little too into his act, walking right by Blu without even acknowledging him, despite Gabi's alerts.
After the loggers are driven off, Gabi tries to shoot Blu with the poisoned dart, but it accidentally hits Nigel, who seemingly dies. Distraught, Gabi drinks her own poison so she can join her love in death, and seemingly dies also. However, Bia points out that Gabi is not poisonous at all. Still alive, Gabi protests, saying that her parents told her that she was poisonous, to which Carla replies "You just have really mean parents." Gabi is ecstatic that she and Nigel can be together, even foiling his last attempt to attack Blu by dragging him into the bushes and showering him with love.
Gabi and Nigel are later found by Linda and Tulio, who take them back to Rio de Janeiro to be observed as they have apparently "bonded." Gabi (clinging on to Nigel's head) is overjoyed at the idea of a "honeymoon in Rio."
Gabi is tiny, cute, and bright pink with blackish-purple spots and slightly shiny skin. Her feet and knees are also blackish-purple, and her pale pink underside is a lighter colour in comparison to the rest of the pink. She has turquoise eyes and blue irises with long pieces of skin above her eyes that give the appearance of eyelashes.
Gabi is deeply in love with Nigel, and will do anything for him. She supports Nigel no matter what, doing his evil bidding without question and trying to bond with him by doing whatever villainous things she has to.
Despite her small size, Gabi's villainous heart is almost as large as Nigel's. She also has a somewhat murderous side; she attempted to kill Blu with her poison while he was asleep, and only stopped when Nigel halted her. She also often does "evil stares" throughout the film, such as when she was sneaking up on Blu. This was also shown when Nigel was slingshot by Charlie towards a blue macaw (which they had mistaken for Blu); she yelled after Nigel with an evil look in her eyes "Go get em, tiger."
Nigel is Gabi's boss and love interest. Gabi does anything for Nigel, serving him as his sidekick and "evil henchfrog." Gabi appears to have loved Nigel ever since they met, and she seems to like his strength, evilness, and performances. However, Nigel disregards Gabi's affection for him, and sees her mostly as a mere minion. Despite this however, Nigel seems to treat Gabi better then he treats Charlie.
Gabi does not really show an opinion towards Charlie. Although, she does find his size and strength useful, and unlike Nigel she never seems to mistreat Charlie.
Gabi is never seen directly interacting with Blu. However, she seems to dislike him, and shows a highly ruthless and murderous manner towards him.
Skills and Abilities
- Poisonous Skin (thought)
- Gabi can be avoided by predators and can be difficult to capture due to the poison that can be transferred by one touch of her skin. However, it turns out she only resembles a poison dart frog, which is a common mistake made by both people and animals.
- Poison Tears
- Poison Slime
- She is shown to jump high enough to reach the heads of larger animals, such as Charlie.
- Wall Climbing
- Gabi can stick on trees, vents, and rocks easily enough to climb them.
- Gabi has the strength to drag Nigel with no sign of trouble at all even when he was trying to resist.
- Gabi is very talkative, leading Nigel to call her "gabby."
- She holds onto Nigel's fallen feathers since she cannot touch him.
- Gabi seems to avoid touching others (especially Nigel) more than they avoid touching her. Sometimes, Gabi even moves away from Nigel's approaches.
- She was believed to be a poison dart frog, but is actually a harmless tree frog.
- According to Blue Sky Studios' Q&A on Twitter, Gabi was originally going to be working in a circus with Nigel.
- Bia refers to Gabi as having 'pink spots', but Gabi actually appears to have blackish-purple spots against the rest of her pink skin, rather than pink spots.
- In reality, there aren't any tree frogs that share Gabi's pink coloration and dark spots.
- According to Blue Sky Studios, Gabi's black patterning frames her features and creates the impression of a face mask, gloves and boots. This makes her look like a '70's mod superhero.
- Gabi: "Oh, Nigel, I love it when you get all dark and brooding."
- Gabi: "Nigel es muy macho!"
- Gabi: "Thank you."
- Gabi: "I'm free!"
- Gabi: "Without your performance, it's nothing."
- Gabi: "A toxic frog and a flightless freak."
- Gabi: "So different, and yet, the same."
- Gabi: "Wait for me!"
- Gabi: "Don't leave me!"
- Gabi: "You're the only one who knows what it's like to feel alone, misunderstood."
- Gabi: "You're the evil to my lethal."
- Gabi: "Go get 'em, tiger!"
- Gabi: "Say what?"
- Gabi: "Oh no he di-n't!"
- Gabi: "He is muy guapo."
- Gabi: "He is so hot."
- Gabi: "Okay. Love ya!"
- Gabi: "Nigel..."
- Gabi: "Poisonous love is my speciality."
- Gabi: "They love you, Nigel!"
- Gabi: "Charlie, this is it!"
- Gabi: "Okay, steady, steady..."
- Gabi: "That's it! Shoot!"
- Gabi: "Nigel!"
- Gabi: "No! What have I done?"
- Gabi: "If I cannot liveith with thee, then I shall not liveith at all!"
- Gabi: "What?"
- Gabi: "But my parents told me I was poisonous and shouldn't touch anyone."
- Gabi: "Oh, wow. So now..."
- Gabi. "We can be together!"
- Gabi: "Oh, Nigel, I'll never let you go..."
- Gabi: "Oh, Nigel. Wow, a honeymoon in Rio! Yay!"
- Gabi: "That was beautiful, Nigel... but what does it mean?"
- Gabi: "You're doing great, Nigel."
- Gabi: "Bravo! Bellisimo!"
Rio 2: The Junior Novel
- Gabi: "Oh, Nigel. You are the maestro of mayhem."
- Main article: Gabi/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Carla • Bia • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Big Boss • Felipe • Tiny • Claira|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Let Me Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • "Samba de Orly" • "Funky Monkey" • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love" • "Rio Rio" • "Batucada Familia"|