When Blu was smuggled from the jungles of Rio de Janeiro as a young chick, he ended up in a truck that drove through the snowy town of Moose Lake in Minnesota. The crate he was in was tossed out of the truck when the driver briefly lost control at a stoplight. A young girl named Linda found Blu and decided to take care of him. After fifteen years, Linda was in the book-selling business, together with Blu as her companion. One fateful day, their morning starts with the grown-up Linda woken up by Blu's imitation of a car and alarm clock's sounds. They brush their teeth, eat breakfast, and prepare the store for the morning. Blu then turns the sign to "Open" and he and Linda do one of their special "fist bumps" together. Linda offers Blu hot chocolate, and then Alice & Chloe show up throwing snowballs at his window and mocking him. Some time after, Tulio arrives, and explains that Blu is the last male of his species and must travel to Rio de Janeiro and mate with Jewel, who is the last female of their kind, to save their species.
Finally, in the end credits, in a photo, Linda, Tulio, and Fernando, who have come together as a family, open up Livraria Blu, a Brazilian version of the bookstore, this time with two crossed feathers printed on the window, meant to reference Blu and Jewel's union, with one light blue feather representing Jewel, and one dark blue feather representing Blu.
The upper level is where Blu and Linda live, featuring a bathroom, a kitchen, and their bedroom, like a house. The ground level is where they do business, featuring shelved books, a computer, and has a style similar to a library.
- This is the only place featured in Moose Lake, Minnesota.
- The book Blu was reading before he had his hot chocolate was an airplane book called "Population Rechange" which features types of old-fashioned models of planes.
- This is the first level of the Rio video game for the DS.
- When the Livraria Blu was opened, Linda probably closed Blue Macaw Books and/or sold it to someone else.
- When Linda and Blu were logging onto their computer, the computer screen featured them dressed as pirates.
- This is where Blu spent the first 15 years of his life.
- The parking space for Blu's Toy Car is the only place aside from the Blu Bird Sanctuary sign and end credits where Blu's name is seen in word form.
- This is the first place where something is named after Blu in his honor.
- In the movie, Linda gives Blu a cup of hot chocolate and a plate of cookies. In real life, hot chocolate (and the chips in the cookies) is toxic to all species of birds. .
- Main article: Blue Macaw Books/Gallery