In the first film, Tulio speculated that Blu was the last male of his kind. He is shy and socially awkward. He is definitely the opposite of his mate, Jewel. While he could log on to a computer, open bird cages and use a skateboard, he had one minor set-back: he could not fly. When he found the girl of his dreams, he was forced to put his fears aside and find out if he really had what it took to soar.
Blu is voiced by Jesse Eisenberg, in both movies.
Blu is first seen as a chick in an empty nest inside of a tree hollow. Awakened by the singing of his fellow birds, Blu dances along with them. Watching some nearby chicks flying for the first time, Blu thinks of flying for himself right after he witnessed a mother and her off-spring fly out of their nest for the first time. Until smugglers start capturing the other birds. During the mayhem, Blu is knocked out of the tree by some escaping birds. He falls to the ground and is also captured. Alongside other birds, Blu is caged, put on a plane, and sold to an exotic bird store. On the way, the back of the truck carrying him is forced open due to the driver not paying attention to the traffic light, and the crate containing Blu falls onto the streets of Moose Lake, Minnesota. A young girl, named Linda Gunderson, finds the crate. Linda comforts the scared chick, and promises to take care of him, later naming him "Blu."
Over the next fifteen years, Blu and Linda become the best of friends, with Linda throwing him birthday parties, taking him to spelling bees (which she wins at the age of fourteen), and even to her high school prom. One day, an ornithologist named Tulio Monteiro comes to the book store where Blu and Linda live, informing them that Blu is the last male of his species, and that he must mate with the only remaining female for his species to be saved. Blu and Linda are reluctant at first, but agree to do it.
When they arrive in Rio, Blu meets Pedro and Nico, who give him some tips on how to attract a female. Once at Tulio's aviary, Blu is put off by the fact that his intended mate, Jewel, had badly scratched one of Tulio's assistants. When he sees her, however, he instantly falls in love. He tries to follow Pedro and Nico's advice, but Jewel, only interested in escaping, angrily rebuffs and attacks him because they "just met." Tulio, watching through the camera, activates a disco ball, and plays Lionel Richie's Academy-Award-winning song "Say You, Say Me." Blu declares that he had nothing with that, then sings along with it. Jewel pounces on Blu and attacks him, and Linda and Tulio assume they are mating. Later, Blu and Jewel are captured by a boy, named Fernando, who brings them to a band of smugglers, assisted by the head smuggler's pet cockatoo, Nigel. Blu and Jewel are chained together and caged, but Jewel makes an escape (assisted by Blu, who unlocks the cage's latch). When Jewel attempts to fly, Blu is forced to admit that he can't fly, much to Jewel's dismay, and they are forced to escape Nigel and the smugglers on foot, making their way into the jungle, to Blu's displeasure. He does, however, get to sleep on a beam of the Vista Chinesa, as he reveals his tricks on how to get up there without flying. On the other hand, Jewel tells him that birds need flying (when he asks who needs it), and that it is freedom and not having to depend on anyone. Blu responds that it seems a little lonely. Jewel suggests that they get some sleep. Blu bids Jewel goodnight, then says the same to Linda, knowing that she is out there somewhere.
In the morning, Blu attempts to compromise a way to break the chain, but fails. They are then set upon by a flock of baby toucans, whose father, Rafael, offers to take them to his friend Luiz to get the chain off. Rafael also tries to get Blu to fly, telling him that he just needs to "feel the rhythm" of his heart, but Blu, still scared, falls short at the last moment, causing himself and Jewel to land on a hang glider. Blu, enjoying the feeling of being in the air, opens his wings, causing himself and Jewel to be blown off the hang glider and onto the beach below. Rafael then leads them to a fruit truck, which takes them into the city. There, Blu once again meets Pedro and Nico, who inform the group that they had just missed the troller that would take them to Luiz. While they wait, Pedro and Nico take the group to a bird's samba club. Once there, Blu, whose childhood memories stirred by the music, starts to dance. With a little nudge from Rafael, Blu dances with Jewel, culminating in her singing beautifully, which captivates him. Just as it seems like the two will kiss, the club is raided by a group of Marmosets, hired by Nigel to find them. A brief battle ensues, during which the trolley arrives, and Blu and Jewel are given a lift there by Kipo the Roseate Spoonbill.
While on their way to Luiz's garage, Blu, with help from the others, tries to tell Jewel how he feels about her, but is prevented by a stray flower petal getting stuck in his throat. When they finally arrive, they are surprised to learn that Luiz is a bulldog, and even more surprised that he intends to use a buzz saw in an attempt to cut the chain. In the ensuing chaos, Luiz catches the chain in his mouth, causing his drool to seep onto Blu and Jewel's legs, lubricating them enough to slip through the shackles. Blu, knowing he and Jewel will have to part ways, coldly tries to brush her off. Jewel retaliates by chiding him for not being able to fly. Blu responds by claiming to hate samba, shocking his friends and walking away angrily. However, he is soon informed by Pedro and Nico that Nigel has captured Jewel, and decides to mount a rescue, using Luiz as a steed.
Blu and company follow Nigel to Carnival. Spotting Linda, Blu is briefly torn, but decides to focus on saving Jewel. Once he finds her, he tries to set her free, but is caged himself by Nigel, along with Rafael, Pedro and Nico. They are placed in the smugglers' plane, along with all the other captured birds.
During the flight, Blu rigs a fire extinguisher to bust open his cage, allowing the escape of the others. The plane's door is opened and the birds escape, except for Blu, who is still scared of flying. As Jewel tries to comfort him, Nigel attacks Blu. Jewel tries to help Blu, but knocked into the plane's side, causing a cage to fall on her wing, injuring it. As Nigel mocks them, an angered Blu attaches the fire extinguisher to the cockatoo's foot, setting it off. Nigel is blasted out of the plane and into one of its propellers, causing it to fall. Jewel falls out of the plane, and Blu, putting his fears aside, jumps after her. After telling her that he won't let her go, Blu is kissed by Jewel. Blu is overcome by the beating of his heart, opens his wings, and flies, saving himself and Jewel. Flying down to Linda, Tulio and Fernando, Blu convinces Jewel to let Tulio tend to her wing. After Jewel's wing is healed, Blu joins her in the wild, sharing one last goodbye with Linda. In the final scene, Blu, Jewel, and their three chicks, Bia, Carla, and Tiago, fly and sing in their new home.
| Spoiler Warning!|
This page or section contains plot details or other media contents about an upcoming episode or film. Proceed at your own discretion.
Blu, Jewel, and their three children Carla, Bia, and Tiago live the perfect domesticated life in the magical city that is Rio de Janeiro. Blu remains as domesticated as ever and he is revealing in the conveniences of modern life. A perfect day for him is making pancakes for Jewel and their three kids and plopping on the couch to watch a soccer game. He is definitely in his comfort zone, living large and like a human. However, Jewel is concerned that the children are becoming more like humans than birds, and that they may never know how to be birds. When Linda and Tulio discovered there might be more blue macaws out there, Blu reluctantly agrees to go on a short trip to the Amazon to help find them. Blu tells his buddies of his travel plans, but Nico, Pedro and Luiz warn him of the myriad dangers that could lie ahead in the wild. But the ever-positive Rafael encourages Blu, reminding him that “a happy wife means a happy life!"
Blu thought the city of Rio was wild, but he didn't experience the true meaning of wild until he traveled to the Amazon. He's a little reluctant to make the journey and not comfortable with it, but he’ll do it for the good of his family. After all, what could go wrong on a family vacation?
Before they can begin their journey, Blu has to prepare himself and his family for the journey. Blu enlists the help of a GPS device to help them navigate across Brazil.
When they arrive in Manaus, they hitch a ride on a riverboat and take a much-needed break from flying. During the ride down the Amazon, Jewel notices Blu is still indecisive about the adventure. She cheers him up by thanking him for coming along.
Upon their arrival at Blu's programmed destination, Blu and Jewel meet the locals at the Amazon sanctuary, where they discover, to everyone’s shock, especially Jewel’s, that the leader of the lost flock of Blue Macaws is Jewel’s dad, Eduardo.
Initially grateful that Blu has brought Jewel back into Eduardo’s life, the stern patriarch quickly becomes a disapproving father-in-law. Eduardo is very strict with Blu and is unhappy he has so many ties to humans and human things, like his ever-present fanny pack and GPS system.
As the family settles into this exciting new world, Blu finds his learning curve to be a steep one. He is unable to handle even the most simple and important tasks, like building a nest and foraging for food. Blu not only feels out of place in the jungle, he feels out of place with this entire flock of birds who share his DNA, but none of his lifestyle choices.
If meeting a critical father-in-law weren’t enough, Blu must also contend with Jewel’s childhood friend Roberto. Blu feels not only threatened by Roberto, but is frustrated because Roberto seems like the perfect guy.
To Blu, the Amazon really feels like the most exotic or foreign place it could for a bird from Minnesota via Rio.
Blu tries to make Jewel happy in fear she's going to leave him, so he searches for a Brazil nut (her favorite) around the jungle for her. But he accidentally steps into the Scarlet Macaw tribe territory. Not happy about this, Felipe, the head of the tribe, sets off a bet to decide who keeps the entire Brazil nut grove. Both tribes head to the Pit of Doom for a decisive soccer match. Blu ends up in the game and although he did quite well, trying to prove himself for the tribe, he ends up scoring for the other team. Blu tells Jewel he doesn't belong there and he wants to go home, but Jewel try's to reason with him that maybe the Amazon is home, not Rio, they both then have an argument, Jewel then tells him that he has to figure what he wants to do and to start thinking about them instead of himself. He then leaves with his fanny pack and GPS heading towards Linda and Tulio.
Blu flies to Linda and Tulio's camp in the jungle were he chooses to stay with his family in the Amazon, but is followed by Roberto who now thinks he's a traitor. They're both surprised to see a logging harvester destroying the jungle which they both narrowly escape from, after seeing Roberto panicking he slaps him on the face telling him to "snap out of it" and tells him to warn the tribe while he finds Linda and Tulio, Blu manages to find Linda and Tulio and untie them from a tree before coming across the loggers and their destruction of the Jungle. Blu later returns to the tribe to hear that Jewel won't leave without him and he rubs his beak with her's as they reunite, Blu then convinces the entire tribe that his knowledge of humans are for once, useful to them, and together they decide to fight. In the end, the Scarlet Macaw tribe comes to help them fight the loggers.
When all seems well, Blu spots dynamite about to destroy the jungle, and tries to take care of this. But as he does so he is encountered by Nigel, on his quest for revenge. However, Gabi ends up ruining his plans. In the end, they all celebrate together as a family, and Blu decides he might feel at home in the Amazon after all, but they're going to spend summers back in Rio.
Blu has dark blue feathers and brown eyes. He has white facial markings around his eyes. He is taller, larger, and not quite as slender as his mate. Unlike Jewel, he sports a feather ruffle on the back and sides of his neck, with some extra feathers in the front. Also, Blu has three short feathers on the back of his head. His beak and talons are gray, and he has a long tail.
Personality and Traits
Shy, socially awkward, and smart, he says things that are the last thing on his mind and can even make you laugh. He can't express himself and his feelings ton't fly". But if the girl of his dreams is in trouble, he will risk it all to save her, even if it costs his life (he jumpe the girl of his dreams, trying so many times but still failing. While he could use a fire extinguisher to get out of his cage and open a plane's cargo door, he couldn't fly. Also, as seen in the first movie, Blu has knowledge on cages and unlocks Jewel when they first escape the smugglers. He often pertained himself to "one of the types of birds that cad out of the smugglers' cargo plane trying to save Jewel even though he didn't know how to fly). He's one-of-a-kind and proud of it. Despite being awkward, unable to express himself and even a bit clumsy with words, he is very softhearted, sweet, handsomely cute, super smart, and because of his colourful courage and bravery, Blu will never give up on anything. Even when Nigel digs his talons deep in Blu's throat, he puts away his own pain to focus on Jewel's broken wing. Blu is always organised and well prepared for trips, and prefers the easiest option. He is hesitant to venture into the wild, but will do it for the sake of his family.
Blu and Jewel
Blu lived in Minnesota for fifteen years under the care of Linda. After Tulio, an ornithologist, tells Linda that he is the last male of his kind, he travels to Rio and meets Jewel. Shy and socially awkward, his impression and approach to Jewel was misunderstood. But later on, she warms up to him during their adventure together. The two had three babies, Bia, Carla, and Tiago, who appear at the end of Rio, and once again in Rio 2.
Blu felt concerned about Jewel. Though she often acted hostile towards him, he would act in a friendly manner. After their dance duet, Blu nervously tried to admit his feelings toward her. After the chain was removed, he was unhappy at the fact they would have to part. This caused an argument between him and Jewel, after which he angrily walks away. After hearing Jewel had been captured, however, he goes to rescue her, passing up the chance to be reunited with Linda to do so. When an injured Jewel falls out of the smugglers' plane, Blu puts his fears aside and jumps after her while still not knowing how to fly. As a result of his actions, he finally wins her heart through his selfless sacrifice.
In Rio 2, Blu is a loving and devoted husband to Jewel. In spite of his own misgivings, he agrees to take the family to the Amazon, just to make her happy. He even admits he would do anything for her. Once they reach the Amazon, Blu starts to feel threatened by Jewel's childhood friend, Roberto, fearing that he may steal her away. On his friends' advice, he decides to "bird up" and get Jewel a Brazil nut as a surprise (Which results in the soccer match between the blue and red macaws). When Blu airs his grievances to Jewel about staying in the Amazon, they briefly argue, with Blu saying that the jungle isn't home. Blu leaves for Linda's position, but only to say goodbye, having decided that Jewel is more important. After encountering the loggers, he returns to Jewel, the two affectionally touching beaks, glad to see each other again. After the loggers are defeated, Blu assures Jewel that he is fully prepared to spend his life in the jungle. After a spider scares him, Jewel suggests they spend summers in Rio. Blu responds by saying "You're my one and only, Jewel."
Blu and Linda
Linda is Blu's best friend. Back in Minnesota, they would do everything together, hardly ever parting. When Blu joins Jewel to the jungle, he and Linda share one of their special "fist bumps" as a farewell to each other.
Blu often takes Rafael's advice, respecting his wisdom and intelligence.
Nico and Pedro are the first friends Blu makes in Rio, and he treats them as such, even though their advice on courting Jewel failed miserably.
When they first meet, Blu is disturbed by Tulio's attempts to "communicate" with him, and doesn't take kindly to the good doctor throwing him across the room in an attempt to make him fly. Blu also doesn't care for Tulio's attempts to make him look "irresistible," quickly smoothing out his fluffed-up head feathers.
Nigel is Blu's arch nemesis. When they first meet, Nigel is posing as a sick bird, and responds to Blu's "get well soon" with an evil glare. Since Nigel's true evil nature was revealed, Blu took an immense disliking to the cockatoo. Blu later classifies Nigel's "Pretty Bird" song as "scary, but not cool." When Nigel injures Jewel, Blu once again denounces him as "not cool," before blasting him out of the plane. They both are still enemies and Nigel is also an enemy of Jewel, Blu's mate. Blu still has nightmares about Nigel.
In the second film Nigel seeks revenge on Blu, for defeating and humiliating him in the first film.
Blu is initially terrified of Luiz, thinking he is a rabid dog. Once this is revealed to be a joke, Blu generally treats him with friendliness, though he is repulsed by the bulldog's drool.
Blu has three children together with Jewel: Bia, Carla, and Tiago. He seems to have a very close relationship with them. He is a very responsible father. He seems to have the closest relationship with Bia, possibly because she is most like him, personality-wise, though she is much less timid.
Eduardo and Blu do not get off to an easy start when they meet each other. As Eduardo's son-in-law, Blu didn't make the best first impression to his father-in-law. It looks as if Eduardo is not really happy with the relationship between Blu and his daughter Jewel. Eventually, Blu earns Eduardo's respect after he leads the tribe in repelling the loggers.
Blu's aunt-in-law, Mimi is the only member of Jewel's family who accepts Blu as her niece's mate. She welcomes Blu and Jewel into the Spix's macaw tribe with open wings, and smooths the conflict between Blu and Eduardo. Mimi reminds Eduardo that he must accept and honour Jewel's choice of mate, despite what he may think of his son-in-law.
When Blu meets Jewel's childhood friend, he is uncomfortable at the past relationship between his mate and Roberto. It seems as though Roberto can do almost anything Blu can't, and he has a more beautiful singing voice. Roberto has more confidence and can easily charm females, making Blu feeling incredibly inadequate. Blu is afraid that Jewel will fall for Roberto, and that the flames between the two will ignite. When Roberto becomes paralyzed with fear over the loggers, Blu slaps him and takes charge of the situation.
- Mimicking Sounds (shown during the intro credits)
- Typing (shown during the intro credits)
- Reading (shown during the intro credits)
- When Nico and Pedro sang "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)," Blu got carried away, dancing to the music.
- During Carnival, he jumps on a skateboard, enabling him to make his way through the parade, fast.
- He can also do skateboard tricks that professionals do.
- No other bird in Rio can use a skateboard (or know what a skateboard even is)
- Human Intelligence
- He worked with Linda in the bookstore. He was smarter than other birds, as shown by him reading many books over the years.
- He can also open bird cages easily; At the smugglers' hideout, when Jewel is trying to get out the cage he just opened it without trouble, and said that it's just a standard flip slide bolt lock.
- Flying Straight with Jewel (Angry Birds Rio only)
- Without Jewel, he takes advantage of his inability, and flaps his wings around causing moderate damage to his foes.
- He learns to fly near the end of the movie.
- Brushing (shown during the intro credits)
- He was putting toothpaste on a toothbrush and used it to brush his beak.
- Blu knows how to toast a bread by using a toaster, seen during the intro credits.
- Acrobatic Agility & Balance
- He was shown doing acrobatic stunts to get around in Linda's house and climbing up to the tree fort.
- He uses his claws to hold and grab things, such as holding a cup of water to wash down the toothpaste, drinking hot chocolate (this is a factual error, as like it is for dogs, chocolate is toxic for macaws), and tying a rope to Nigel's leg to save Jewel.
- Fist Bump (shown during the intro and end credits)
- It's a handshake that he and Linda do, though he uses his foot; birds don't have hands, and can only use their feet for this kind of thing.
- Playing Dead
- He can act like he's dead, albeit with some overly-exaggerated death throes.
- Fire Extinguisher Mechanism
- Blu was seen using fire extinguisher to free himself from Nigel's grab, pulling out the safety pin from extinguisher and sent Nigel blasting off the plane.
- Riding Toy Car
- Blu was seen riding a toy police car in Blue Macaw Books.
- Blu can carry Jewel or two of his children without any difficulty. He can also carry Nigel (with some difficulty)
- GPS Operation
- In Rio 2, Blu uses a GPS during the family's trip to the Amazon.
- Cutting Rope/Vine with Beak
- In Rio 2, Eduardo teaches Blu how to free himself from rope or vine using his beak. Blu finds this useful as he helps untie Linda and Tulio from the tree when the loggers capture them. Also, after Nigel was struck by Gabi's poison dart, Blu frees himself and Nigel by biting through the vines they were hanging from.
- Blu is voiced by Jesse Eisenberg, a male actor of many films, such as Zombieland, 30 minutes or Less, and The Social Network.
- In many promotional ads for the movie, and on soundtrack, DVD and Blu-ray covers, Blu is shown wearing several different outfits ranging from hats to a scarf though he was never meant to wear outfits in the film. This is mainly promotional purposes for Blu.
- It is likely that Blu is loosely based off a real-life Spix's macaw that lived with a Colorado family until 2002 when the Brazilian government ordered the family to transfer the animal to a zoo in Brazil for conservation purposes.
- He said that once in a while he pees in the bird bath, but birds can't technically urinate.
- Tyler Blu Gunderson is a real name from a person from Australia.
- In the second scene of the movie, Blu jumps on the keyboard of Linda's computer, the password is known to be (387lynda).
- He drinks a cup of water to wash down the toothpaste, but instead of spitting it out, he swallows it.
- He was seen drinking a cup of hot chocolate and eating chocolate chip cookies off a plate (even dunking one in his chocolate). This is a factual error, as like it is for dogs, chocolate is toxic for macaws.
- Even though Blu was born in Rio, he didn't want to go there, maybe because he liked it in Moose Lake, forgot he lived there, or had no memory of being born in Rio. It is unknown which is which.
- His name refers to his blue feathers, though in his name, the letter "E" is dropped.
- He and Linda lived together for fifteen years.
- Blu has an image of his face on the Blu Bird Sanctuary (which was also named in his honor).
- He doesn't like taking his vitamins.
- He said that once in a while he picks his beak which is similar to nose-picking, but birds can't technically pick their beaks.
- The fate of Blu's parents remains unknown.
- Blu was originally to be voiced by Neil Patrick Harris. However, he had other commitments outside production, and was replaced by Jesse Eisenberg. He was asked during the filming of The Social Network if he would do his voice recording on the weekends; he agreed after reading the script, saying: "It was the perfect antidote to get out of the mindset of my character in Social Network who was so severe, and in some ways so joyless."
- Blu knows about the food chain by watching Animal Planet.
- In Rio 2, Blu will meet Jewel's ex-boyfriend Roberto and become jealous, fearing Jewel may wish to rekindle their relationship.
- In Rio 2, Blu will also meet Jewel's father Eduardo who is the leader of the remaining Spix's Macaw clan who have been hiding in the Amazon Rain forest.
- In Rio 2, Blu will also meet Eduardo's sister Mimi.
- Blu can only open a Brazil nut with a Swiss army knife.
- In Rio 2, Blu carries around a fanny pack that keeps his belongings such as a map.
- Blu: "Yeah, well, that human has given me love and affection for the past 15 years, whereas my own kind tries to strangle me after 15 seconds!"
- Blu: "No no, guys, really, I'm fine. The cage is great, love the cage." *hugging the cage bars*
- Blu: "I'm not gonna let you go. We're chained to each other birds, remember?"
- Blu: "This is the coolest place I've ever seen, despite all the obvious health code violations."
- Blu: "I come in peace."
- Blu: "Of course you can trust humans."
- Blu: "That's stupid, stupid, stupid."
- Blu: "Stop! Stop! Why don't you just open the door?"
- Blu: "Safe? Safe? We are in the jungle!"
- Blu: "You know when they say, 'It's a jungle out there'?"
- Blu: "Well I'm pretty sure they don't mean it as a good thing."
- Blu: "Hey, don't talk to me about nature."
- Blu: "I watch Animal Planet."
- Blu: "I know all about the food chain."
- Blu: "Out here I'm just an hor d'oeuvres."
- Blu: "Nothing more than a feathery spring roll."
- Blu: "No I don't think so."
- Blu: "I would feel much more comfortable on something... man made."
- Blu: "Hey, how about up there?"
- Blu: "Drag me? Watch and learn."
- Blu: "Who's dragging who's butt now?"
- Blu: "You see, who needs flying?"
- Blu: "I don't know, it sounds a little lonely."
- Blu: "I'm going to be up a little while."
- Blu: "I'm still on Minnesota time."
- Blu: "Good night Jewel."
- Blu: "I did not get that at all."
- Blu: "Linda... a little help here."
- Blu: "I can't fly!"
- Blu: "What is it with this kid and the feathers?"
- Blu: "Am I dead?"
- Blu: "This is incredible."
- Blu: "Yes... I do feel it."
- Blu: "We're gonna die!"
- Blu: "This is the most beautiful place I've ever seen!"
- Blu: "Not cool man! Scary, but not cool!"
- Blu: "Hey, are you okay?."
- Blu: "What kind of doctor are you?"
- Blu: "Keep it simple."
- Blu: "Thrust, lift, drag, weight."
- Blu: "I hate samba!"
- Blu: "Yeah, I said it... every song sounds exactly the same."
- Blu: "Tico-taco, ya ya ya, tico-taco, ya ya ya!"
- Blu: "I'm tico-taco out of here."
- Blu: "Rafael, quit following me."
- Blu: "You're going in the wrong direction, isn't Carnival that way?"
- Blu: "But I thought you loved Carnival?"
- Blu: "Don't worry, I got it."
- Blu: "That's good, great idea."
- Blu: "I have beautiful eyes."
- Blu: "She did that?! Charming. Okay, I wanna go home now!"
- Blu: "This is all my fault... let's fly."
- Blu: "Oh, how I wish I was back in my cage with my mirror, and my swing, and my little bell."
- Blu: "Oh, come on, it's the twitching that sells it."
- Blu: "I don't need to play dead, I'm about to have a heart attack!"
- Blu: "Excuse me, please, I am trying to sleep."
- Blu: "But just for argument's sake, uh, what are you doing?"
- Blu: "Confidence. Crazy love hawk."
- Blu: "Oh come on, you really think I came alone?"
- Blu: "I've got three of the roughest, meanest, craziest birds in all of Rio right behind me!"
- Blu: "It's not like we're hurling ourselves off a mountain or something. Right?"
- Blu: "For the record, I am not a pet, I am a companion."
- Blu: I've changed my mind, maybe we can find a bus schedule or something."
- Blu: "I would love to go five minutes without almost getting killed."
- Blu: "Is that too much to ask?"
- Blu: "I'm gonna get you out of here."
- Blu: "What's wrong with this level?"
- Blu: "Escape, why? This cage is awesome."
- Blu: "Did you just call me a pet?."
- Blu: "For the record, I am not a pet."
- Blu: "I am a companion."
- Blu: "Yes, I can't fly, I pick my beak, and once in a while pee in the birdbath. Happy?"
- Blu: "I am an American citizen!"
- Blu: "Be afraid, be very afraid!"
- Blu: "Well, this year's off to a great start."
- Blu: "Kids, go easy on old Pop-Pop."
- Blu: "This is the life."
- Blu: "Very funny, real mature."
- Blu: "The perfect marshmallow to cocoa ratio."
- Blu: "Throw all the snowballs you want, I'm protected by this magical forcefield, called glass."
- Blu: "It's what keeps us so toasty and warm in here."
- Blu: "While your out there freezing your... classy."
- Blu: "From down here, it looks really, really hard."
- Blu: "This is for Linda."
- Blu: "Positive, check out my math."
- Blu: "Then we can go and find Linda."
- Blu: "Fine, deal."
- Blu: "Easy for you to say."
- Blu: "And you know what, do whatever you want, because tomorrow morning, Linda will come for me, and this whole nightmare will be over."
- Blu: "And how long as the macaw walks?"
- Blu: "Not all birds fly."
- Blu: "Well not technically."
- Blu: "Just how far is this Luiz?"
- Blu: "Luiz, please, rescue first, freak later."
- Blu: "There they are, that's the float!"
- Blu: "Hey, wait a sec."
- Blu: "I... am not... from here."
- Blu: "I'm just here to meet, uh... a girl."
- Blu: "What are you talking about, haven't you been listening?"
- Blu: "Whoa... she's beautiful."
- Blu: "What were they talking about?"
- Blu: "She's like an angel."
- Blu: "An angel who's getting... really... close."
- Blu: "That was meant for you."
- Blu: "There's no place like home, there's no place like home."
- Blu: "There's nothing natural about being thrown halfway across a room, well I'll show him."
- Blu: "Really, I don't."
- Blu: "Oh no this is just SPF 3000."
- Blu: "I can do this... I just have to work out the physics."
- Blu: "I have quad rated my vector angles."
- Blu: "I have adjusted for wind shear."
- Blu: "Positive reinforcement... good."
- Blu: "Okay, let's see... flaps open, perfect."
- Blu: "Landing gear, check."
- Blu: "Tail flaps, operational, and, actually... not bad."
- Blu: "Stop, just tell me what happened."
- Blu: "Pull it together, the key is not to panic."
- Blu: "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to me."
- Blu: "But it's okay, because any minute now, Linda will find us."
- Blu: "You want honesty, fine, I can be honest!"
- Blu: "I don't belong here... in fact I never wanted to come here in the first place."
- Blu: "What? It's just a standard flip slide bolt."
- Blu: "I think something's watching us?"
- Blu: "Is it hot?"
- Blu: "I think I'm sweating."
- Blu: "I didn't even think that was biologically possible, and yet, look!"
- Blu: "Nothing... everything's perfect."
- Blu: "You'll be off to the rainforest... I'll be back with Linda just like we planned."
- Blu: "That you'd come to Minnesota? Great, I guess I'll knit you a scarf."
- Blu: "Look Jewel, I can't spend my life walking around following you wherever you're going."
- Blu: "I'm gonna pop this cage open like a soda can."
- Blu: "Listen to me, flying may not be my thing but walking is."
- Blu: "Follow my lead, inside leg, outside leg."
- Blu: "Actually, there are about forty different species of flightless birds."
- Blu: "No, ducks can fly."
- Blu; "What was that?"
- Blu: "And that?"
- Blu: "Are you sure this is safe?"
- Blu: "Last of the species here!"
- Blu: "Sorry sir...I mean ma'am."
- Blu: "Love the 'stache."
- Blu: "Sorry there was a turtle working at the coconut stand."
- Blu: "Shutting it down."
- Blu: "I got a text."
- Blu: "That's a good thing, since I'm the only other one."
- Blu: "Guys, wait up!"
- Blu: "We are all going to the Amazon... yay."
- Blu: "Hi, hey, I am Jewel's significant other."
- Blu: "You never mentioned any Roberto."
- Blu: "Those are breath mints, you eat them."
- Blu: "No, not the whole box!"
- Blu: "Get that... out of your... mouth!"
- Blu: "Back, you barbarian!"
- Blu: "That's adorable."
- Blu: "Huh. That's my name!"
- Blu: "She ate a bug! A BUG!"
- Blu: "I got it, I'm good."
- Blu: "Wait, we didn't do a head count!"
- Blu: "Okay, bug spray, check, water purifier, check, band aids, check... I feel like I'm forgetting something."
- Blu: "Ah ah ah, that's not for you."
- Blu: "You kidding me? I am Mr. Jungle."
- Blu: "Who's with me?"
- Blu: "Uh, anybody else?"
- Blu: "It's down to the final minutes. He's got magic in his feet, he shoots, he scores!"
- Blu: "Oh, no, no, I'm not here to audition. I have news. I am going to the Amazon... yay."
- Blu: "Yeah, that's right! It's a spoon and a fork!"
- Blu: "Oh, that's adorable! I love doing nicknames..."
- Blu: "Woah, woah! Joining the tribe? He doesn't actually think we're moving to the jungle, does he?"
- Blu: "Alright, you win. I will leave the fanny pack behind... happy wife, happy life."
- Blu: "Oh, you are fast! You a really, really fast! I think I pulled a wing or something... You are fast for an old bird - er, wise bird..."
- Blu: "Really, when it happens."
- Blu: "Thank you sir."
- Blu: "Goodbye, Linda."
- Blu: "Oh, that wasn't a move, that was just an accident, but I accept the compliment."
- Blu: "Look, Eduardo, I might not be the birdliest bird in the flock. But for once, that's a good thing."
- Blu: "You don't have to."
- Blu: "Yeah, I need it for the GPS."
- Blu: "Great, thanks a lot, GPS lady."
- Blu: "Slower! Slower! Waaah!"
- Blu: "I am an American citizen, you savage!"
- Blu: "I have to stop this."
- Blu: "I guess I'm never gonna be 'the bird' like your dad wants me to be."
- Blu: "You need a breath mint."
- Blu: "Tiago Gunderson, listen to your mother."
- Blu: "What do you know about humans?"
- Blu: "Come on, Roberto."
- Blu: "Snap out of it."
- Blu: "We got one chance to stop this."
- Blu: "Nigel!"
- Blu: "Looks like you're stuck with me all night."
- Blu: "Well, it sure is nice to meet you, sir."
- Blu: "Backwards? Only hummingbirds can fly backwards!"
- Blu: "No pyrotechnics without adult supervision."
- Blu: "Eduardo, this is crazy. We're an intelligent species with advanced problem solving capabilities."
- Blu: "Honey, stop that tickles."
- Blu: "Oh, it's a game! It's just a game!"
- Blu: "Hah, I can do that."
- Blu: "I was getting it for you!"
- Blu: "Really?!"
- Blu: "Yes! Yeah, here we go."
- Blu: "Hey, pass it to me, I'm open! I'm wide open! Pass the ball to me!"
- Blu: "Birds of blue feathers,..."
- Blu: "We can't let them take our home."
- Blu: "Sure it's hot and loud and filled with creepy bugs, but it's ours."
- Blu: "I would do anything for you."
- Blu: "You're my one and only one Jewel."
- Blu: "Kids, next time, ask me."
- Blu: "Maybe we should go find Linda..."
- Blu: "He called me a pet! Can you believe he used the 'P' word to my face?"
- Blu: "Good job Tiago!"
- Blu: "Um, Jewel, where are you? Kids? Jewel?"
- Blu: "Okay guys..."
- Blu: "Good one guys, very funny,..."
- Blu: "What are you doing?"
- Blu: "Let go, save yourself!"
- Blu: "Water, anyone?"
- Blu: "I got this!"
- Blu: "Goodbye pancakes, goodbye coffee... ugh, goodbye coffee."
- Blu: "Course he did."
- Blu: "Actually, I'm Blu.
- Blu: "No, this is just a misunderstanding..."
- Blu: "Roberto, get out of there."
- Blu: "I have to find my friends!"
- Blu: "You fly back and warn the others, got it?"
- Blu: "Hey, where are the blueberries?"
- Blu: "Bring it."
- Blu: "You know the jungle, I know humans."
- Blu: "I know that together we can stop them."
- Blu: "What are you doing, let go, save yourself!"
- Blu: "Come on let go!"
- Blu: "Are you crazy?! You will bring both of us down. Let go!"
- Blu: "I have done everything I can to fit in and help out."
- Blu: "I would do anything for you. You know that, right?"
- Blu: "Wait, what's changing?"
- Blu: "Yeah... bye."
- Blu: "No thank you, sweetie."
- Blu: "Actually Bia, those stories are exaggerated."
- Blu: "Finally brazil nuts!"
- Blu: "This is my most important tool."
- Blu: "Ugh, everything but a knife."
- Blu: "I've found Linda and Tulio's coordinates. They're really close."
- Blu: "But no matter what I do it's wrong!"
- Blu: "That's not home Jewel, maybe for you, but not for me."
- Blu: "Check this out, the voice recognition makes it totally fool proof."
- Blu: "Oh, that sounds quite nice."
- Blu: "How can this be home?"
- Blu: "Yes I do."
- Blu: "Here we are, kids - the gateway to the Amazon."
- Blu: "You don't think I'm capable of doing it?"
- Blu: "Wait, me? Er... what's a song if you can't hear it too?"
- Blu: "Er, Raffi, where are the kids?"
- Blu: "...Worries, right here."
- Blu: "Luiz, where are the kids?"
- Blu: "That's a Linda."
- Blu: "It's not like it's forever..."
- Blu: "See you in a couple of weeks!"
- Main article: Blu/Gallery
|Rio (2011) • Rio 2 (2014) • Rio 3 (TBA)|
|Rio: The Series (TBD)|
|Blu • Jewel • Rafael • Nico • Pedro • Luiz • Bia • Carla • Tiago • Nigel • Fernando • Linda Gunderson • Tulio Monteiro • Eva • Mimi • Eduardo • Roberto • Gabi • Charlie • Felipe • Tiny • Clara|
|Multiplayer Party Game • DS version • Angry Birds Rio|
|"Real in Rio" • "Hot Wings (I Wanna Party)" • "Pretty Bird" • "Take You To Rio" • "Telling the World" • "Sapo Cai" • "Fly Love" • Samba de Orly • "What Is Love" • "Welcome Back" • "It's A Jungle Out Here" • "I Will Survive" • "Don't Go Away" • "Beautiful Creatures" • "Favo De Mel" • "Ô Vida" • "Bola Viva" • "Poisonous Love"|